Black Frizzle Cochins

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Harmon_7, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I love my frizzles. But one thing I have noticed is they feel the cold more so than the other cochins. I think it is because their feathers don't lay down and trap the warm air in next to their body. They are very friendly and good broodies. And, mine don't fly either. They even have trouble getting to the roost. I had trouble with the white ones and lack of feathers or twisted feathers. I have one left and will see next spring what she produces. The blacks are beautiful and I need to work on the reds to get a better color. Cochins, frizzled or not, are a wonderful breed. Good luck with your adventure in the spring.
    Gayle

2. Harmon_7

Harmon_7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    Quote:Why are they not real chickens? They lay eggs and hatch them dont they? They have feathers?

3. cindydj

cindydj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2007
    I had a black frizzle that was wonderful. She would sing and loved all the attention when you went outside....she reminded me of a little old lady in a black crocheted shaw....
    I will get another one in the Spring I loved her personality and she would steal the other hens eggs to sit on them also....But, I have to admit when I first got her I thought she was a chicken with a bad hair day...bust she stole our hearts....she was victim to hawk not long ago...[​IMG]

4. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    [​IMG] I have a 3 month old black frizzle cochin bantam. I think he is a roo. He is soo funny. I can't speak for all black frizzle cochins, but mine is really nice. Just make sure you socialize them early on, so they are nice. [​IMG]

5. Harmon_7

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    My nesting box thing is like 3 to 4 feet off the ground...should I build a ramp for them?

6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:No they can fly that much my one roost in the rafters with the REAL chickens, just has to fly to top roost then to rafter, where the Real chickens do a non-stop flight to the rafters [​IMG]

7. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:No they can fly that much my one roost in the rafters with the REAL chickens, just has to fly to top roost then to rafter, where the Real chickens do a non-stop flight to the rafters [​IMG]

8. Harmon_7

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    I think I might anyway... I am in the mood to build something...

9. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Go for it with the ramp building! Even our chickens who love to fly seem to enjoy climbing a ramp to get to the nest box.

10. Harmon_7

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    Yeah I am... how big do the nesting boxes have to be for them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by