Black Jersey Giant Pullet or Cockrel?

Nikki816

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2012
circleville, OH
This is my 2 1/2 week old black Jersey Giant from Mt Healthy. I bought 2 Pullets from the feed store and the other died, so I have nothing to compair it too. It is feathering out a LOT slower than my Dark Brahmas did (they are a week older and have almost all their feathers). Is it just a breed thing that it is so slow or could it be a Roo. It also looks like it has a bigger comb than my Brahmas. Will post more pics as it gets older.

Jersey Giants are slow to do EVERYTHING. They take a very long time (6+ months) to reach full height and weight.

It's hard to even guess at gender at this age, but no serious roo signs thus far. I'd wait a few more weeks, then post again if you're still not sure.

Vora is right Jersey Giants are slow, the won't reach maximum size until about 2 years. But if you keep them on good food and water they'll be big in no time.

Edited: Jersey Giants can have some pink on their feet, but not all, it's just a defect.

This is my black Jersey Giant rooster, (turned 1 in March and he's about 9-10 pounds) He's about that old

Last edited:
I know it's definatley a Giant, I was there when the Order came in and yes it has yellow toes and foot bottoms. I'll post another pic in a couple weeks when it gets bigger. I just wan't sure if they were that slow in feathering or not. The dark Brahmas are a large breed too and they feathered a lot faster. I'm hoping it stays a pullet though.

I have 3 month-old Giants I bought Straight Run.... 2 have their combs and one does not plus he's bigger than the other two. So could I comfortably say the two are hens??

Back
Top Bottom