JERSEY GIANT???

I thought Gene was a Jersey Giant because he (I assume) has the correct leg & bottom of foot colors.
I got him from Murray McMurray as my free chick with my RIRs.
He is noticeably larger than my RIR, and has been since day 1.
I cannot find this color in JG.
Pictures are at 3.5 weeks and 7 weeks.
I agree with the people who say Easter Egger.

As regards being male:
--the comb is on the large side for the age of the chick
--McMurray's free mystery chicks are almost always male (they even say that somewhere on their website, I think on the page where they give the option to add it to the cart)

Based on those points, I would assume that bird is male unless it gives really good proof of being female. (If it gets to 3-4 months without growing male-specific saddle feathers or getting a very big comb, I would start thinking about it being maybe-female. But I really don't think that is going to happen.)

I agree with the people who say Easter Egger.

As regards being male:
--the comb is on the large side for the age of the chick
--McMurray's free mystery chicks are almost always male (they even say that somewhere on their website, I think on the page where they give the option to add it to the cart)

Based on those points, I would assume that bird is male unless it gives really good proof of being female. (If it gets to 3-4 months without growing male-specific saddle feathers or getting a very big comb, I would start thinking about it being maybe-female. But I really don't think that is going to happen.)
I’m sorry, I didn’t see this earlier.
Thank you @NatJ , I appreciate you always taking the time to respond and giving detailed answers!

Don't rely on juvenile feathers and patterns. It will change as an adult.
I recently learned about that! Thank you for mentioning it again, it’s so durn hard to wait - I’ve tried asking Gene, but he just kinda cackles. I think he’s laughing at me 😆

I recently learned about that! Thank you for mentioning it again, it’s so durn hard to wait - I’ve tried asking Gene, but he just kinda cackles. I think he’s laughing at me 😆
If you keep him, keep a look out for his wing droop dance. When you see that walk away immediately. He's trying to test and dominate you. The more you avoid it, the less he'll keep trying and won't be triggered to attack you.

If you keep him, keep a look out for his wing droop dance. When you see that walk away immediately. He's trying to test and dominate you. The more you avoid it, the less he'll keep trying and won't be triggered to attack you.
Wow - I knew that was a roo thing but I didn’t realize that it is done for dominance! Thank you so very much, you have kept me from making a big mistake!

Back
Top Bottom