black marks on my roo...?

PurpleMoon

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 30, 2008
Does anyone know what this is? They are not worts or sores but black "something" on him...?

rosterpic2.jpg

rosterpic1.jpg

It looks like he scraped his comb on something, and the black marks could be scabs. My little roo gets those every so often. I think he scratches it, it bleeds a little, the blood dries and all I see are little black dots/lines on his comb.

Hopefully your guy is acting ok otherwise.

He does not have a good morning crow; it sounds like he has a sore throat and he sneezes sometimes. I have treated him with different things but it dont go away.

He also has discoloration on some tips of him comb.

Thanks for the in put!

Looks like scabs - do you have other Roo's? I currently have 3 & they fight all the time. Their combs are all beat up. Maybe he scraped his on something - it looks too warm in your pict. for it to be frostbite.

No other roos; just him and 6 ladies that are smaller than him.

Maybe I worrie too much.

The discoloration on the tips of the comb look like frostbite.

The other spots are normal, they get those from scraping against something, and little picks and pecks from the other birds.

I was thinking frost bite; but we live in Houston county Alabama. It has been cold here but I keep a lite in the coop, I also see pics with chicks in the snow and see post with people saying in MA and NY that they dont give their birds heat. How can mine get frost bite?

Quote:
Other factors besides temp figure into this.

It also depends on the amount of blood flow your bird has to the tips of the comb, the taller the comb, the more prone to frostbite.
Also depends on the type of comb. Single combs are more prone to frostbite.

I have a BR roo who lost the very tips of his comb last winter, and my climate shouldn't be much colder than yours.

Applying petroleum jelly to the comb tips can help prevent frostbite.

Back
Top Bottom