Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

My local store has an ad this week, 50 lb bag of black oil sunflower seeds 50 percent off, selling for 19.99. My chicks dont come til May. Is this a great price? Should I pick up a bag or two and store for next winter?

Agree with the above posts. Look at feed store or grocery stores that sell bulk grains rather than seed store or catalogs. I generally buy 25 lb bags for between $15-$20 in my area.

I sprout them in a fodder system with a mix of barley and wheat and the chickens LOVE it.

Last edited:
We grow the black oil from our winter feed bag too. Purchase a 50lbs bag for chickens in winter, fat content can reach 35% so excellent winter treat that's still 14-16% protien. From our source we get 6-8ft tall plants with multiple branches and flowers.

I called the feed store to double check that I had it correct and the price is 19.99 (1/2 price) for a 40 lb bag, not 50 lb. That still looks like an amazing deal according to what others have said on here so I plan on buying 2 bags and putting them in my basement for next winter. I didn't want to invest money on next winter when I have so much I need to do this spring, but it seems like it is well worth it. Thanks!!! Now I just need to find 1/2 price wood to build my coop :) :)

Just plant some of the bird seed...I sprout the black oil sunflower seeds all the time...so there is no reason they won't sprout and grow...just like dried beans...they are just seeds.

I called the feed store to double check that I had it correct and the price is 19.99 (1/2 price) for a 40 lb bag, not 50 lb. That still looks like an amazing deal according to what others have said on here so I plan on buying 2 bags and putting them in my basement for next winter. I didn't want to invest money on next winter when I have so much I need to do this spring, but it seems like it is well worth it. Thanks!!! Now I just need to find 1/2 price wood to build my coop :) :)
If you have access to castoffs at a construction site, that's the ticket! You'd be surprised what they throw away there. That's how my coop was built. Windows and door from a cabin demo. It can be all a bit challenging to work with sometimes but boy the price was right. ;-) Good luck with your endeavors!

Just plant some of the bird seed...I sprout the black oil sunflower seeds all the time...so there is no reason they won't sprout and grow...just like dried beans...they are just seeds.

I have never sprouted anything but I have been reading up on it and I will give it a try! Looks so nutritious for winter.

Hmmm ... Light bulb! Our friend is a contractor and he is building a house as we speak! Maybe I can give him
free eggs in lieu of wood.

This week my local TSC has 40# BOSS for $17.99, normally $24.99. I don't even have chicks yet but I'm going to buy 3 bags of it tonight, I've been feeding to the wild birds for years. So between the wild birds and the soon to arrive chickens it will get used.
I plan to throw some in the garden and see if I can harvest any before the birds and will be using it in fodder trays for next fall/winter for the girls

Back
Top Bottom