Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

I know this is old but can anyone post an update on how sprouting went for the BOSS from bird feed, I read this thread yesterday and I have planted some seeds today, how long do they take to sprout and get the sunflower?

I had planted some mammoth sunflower in March and they are still just growing tall but no sunflower yet.

Do the chickens eat the millet sprouts too?

A most interesting topic. I would like to know also.
pop.gif

Sprouting is very quick but it takes about as long to produce edible corn as it does for the sunflower to bloom.

Basically the better part of summer.

Last edited:
I know this is old but can anyone post an update on how sprouting went for the BOSS from bird feed, I read this thread yesterday and I have planted some seeds today, how long do they take to sprout and get the sunflower?

I had planted some mammoth sunflower in March and they are still just growing tall but no sunflower yet.

Do the chickens eat the millet sprouts too?
Russian Mammoth take about 5 to 8 day to germinate @ 65 to 70 degrees. From planting the seed to maturity it takes about 80 to 100 days.

Also Russian Mammoth is a Striped sunflower seed not a Oil Seed (BOSS).

Soak for a few hours, rinse about 3 times a day for a couple days and you're done. Or for fodder, spread them about a half inch or so in a seed flat. This is barley but you get the idea. You can do the same with buckwheat, wheat, BOSS and other seeds.

I found 40 pound bags of BOSS at Walmart for less than $17! I wanted to check on here before buying it; but I'm definitely going to pick some up for them. I've been looking for opportunities to feed them real seeds and sprouts and it caught my eye.

I fed mine black seed sunflowers mixed in with the feed and my chickens always ate the sunflowers first. However when my daughters family ate the eggs they said that they did not like the taste. Anyone else have this problem?

Back
Top Bottom