Black Poop?

duckinnut

Songster
9 Years
Jul 18, 2010
Marshfield, Ma.
I happened to notice some black poop in the coop the other day and was like "holy crap look at that".
sickbyc.gif
It was nice and firm with a white cap just black as coal. Started to notice more in the run and around their penned area. Well last week I had burned some brush and left the ash and bits there. You can see where this is going. Well they ladies decided to eat the black charcoal parts. While I was concerned but didn't see any adverse problems from this. Laying, eating and normal behavior are up to par. So after a little research, charcoal feeding was a regular dietary practice in poultry as well as cattle. But the practice has subsided. From what I read it had many benefits. So basically don't be concerned if your chickens dive into the charcoal but suggest don't let them near briquettes, don't care to use them anyway. I like hardwood lump charcoal myself.

Interesting! What were the benefits?

From what I have read is that consumption of charcoal in their diet actually causes a chemical reaction in their poop. It changes the ammonia to ammonium which is far less toxic to them and you. It is said to be better when in the confines of the coop. I happened to notice that the coop has had no aroma what so ever, for the past week or so, long before I find out about the charcoal. It also acts as a filter in their digestive systems as it absorbs and attracts toxins. Some say it gives them a "sweet crop" as well aids there digestion. Charcoal also increases the nitrate in their poop which is good for the garden if used a manure and it also "cools" the manure as it reduces the amount of ammonia.

Bear in mind some of these are farmers tales except the first in which there were studies in the effect of charcoal in chickens diet. The conversion from ammonia to ammonium is real. Reduction of ammonia in the coop is a big plus,better air=happier chickens,happier chickens=more eggs. Charcoal was used long ago as a natural supplement in the barnyard but can only assume due to modern technology with the advent of animal medicine the practice slowly died. Syringes,liquid additives and medicated feed makes for a convenient farming more so than making charcoal.

Back
Top Bottom