Black Sex link chicks

Chickbabies10

Hatching
Mar 23, 2017
I've been following this blog for a few weeks. I have chicks I purchased at rural king last weekend. I was told they were 2 weeks old. I bought 10 and lost 2. Why did they die and not any other ones? Also , why do some of them have poop stuck to their backside?

Also , I have not seen people post about the kind of chicks I bought? is their a preference among chicken owners based on egg production?

Last edited:
I've been following this blog for a few weeks. I have chicks I purchased at rural king last weekend. I was told they were 2 weeks old. I bought 10 and lost 2. Why did they die and not any other ones? Also , why do some of them have poop stuck to their backside?
Also , I have not seen people post about the kind of chicks I bought? is their a preference among chicken owners based on egg production?

What is the temp on the end where the light is it brightest??? Temp is one of probably the biggest killers of chicks that were doing good till they got in new brooders. Example. I bought several hundred in the last few weeks---buying them 100 per week---2 day old chicks and might loose one out of a hundred---last weeks hundred I have not lost any.

Poop Tail is something that happen at times--some say the temp being off causes it---I do not have a lot----maybe 3 that had that from the last 100 I bought last Monday a week ago (3-13) Poop tail will kill the chick quick if it clogs him completely. YOU have to monitor this every time you look in----try to make sure none are getting that problem. If so dampening it and removing it is the best way to do it.

Edited to add----some people want pretty/friendly over egg layers. some like me want Good Layers---its according to what you want. Black sex-links are good layers and pretty in my opinion too.

Last edited:
the lamp is a 200 watt bulb they guy sold me at the store. They stay under it usually so I never thought it would be too hot. I was told to move the lamp or lower the wattage of bulb I used beginning of next week. I haven't lost any in 3 days so i might be safe now. I'm not sure.

I honestly let my 4 yr old pick out which ones he wanted. He thought the black ones were the coolest.

Black sex-links are awesome layers---he did good. Spend time with they, hold them as they get older, offer treats by hand---then you will probably have Great Layers as well as friendly hens!!

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community but sorry you lost a couple chicks. Sometimes it just happens - maybe they had a week constitution? Maybe they weren't well cared for properly in the farm and ranch store? It's hard to know for certain. On the poopy backsides....be on the lookout for a condition called pasty butt - it can do in a chick quick. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

The ones you lost may have died from pasty butt, that is not unusual. They have to have any fecal matter plastered to their butt, removed. If necessary soap the butt, with warm soapy water and work to get the mess. Once it is removed, make sure the bird is well dried before returning to brooder. You can also put some Vaseline there to help prevent more buildup. Keep checking for it so you don't loss any more chicks. Some feel a little Apple cider vinegar added to their water will prevent this. If using it, you can only put in a plastic or glass waterer - it will corrode metal.

Back
Top Bottom