Black Sex Links?

Morgan7782

Dense Egg Goo
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Sacramento CA
If you own any of these birds, or know much information about them, please teach me! How is their temperment? Do they handle being a surburban backyard chicken well? (Mine free range in out backyard and are only locked in the coop at night after 10pmish) How are they are egg layers? What color eggs? If you have any pictures of a Black Sex Link hen please post! I couldn't find them in the BYC breed index.

My BSL isn't laying yet so I'm not sure about the eggs, but she does really well in our suburban backyard coop/run. We can't let ours free range without supervision, but she enjoys it when she does have the chance. She's also a total sweetheart - will sit on my lap for neck scratches and likes to be held. Will post pics when I get home from work!

Great, thank you for the information! I live in an urban area, but have a nice sized backyard that my girls free range in when they are supervised as well. Mostly because I have a dog. I only lock my girls in their coop around 10pm just until early morning. The run is a good size, plenty big enough for it's residence but I like having them pluck around the backyard too. Pictures would be great.

Are they quiet or noisy?

Quote:
I would love to let mine free range during the day, but our yard isn't completely fenced in. Our neighbor's black lab is an escape artist with a history of killing birds, so I don't like to leave them out in the yard unless I can be out there with them. They don't seem to mind their run, though.

My BSL is fairly noisy, but from what I've heard that's the exception rather than the rule. Right now she shrieks instead of clucking or making adult chicken sounds, but she's young enough that I think she'll grow out of it.

Quote:
Here are a couple pics of Pork Chop. Of course she rarely holds still, so these are the best I could do
smile.png

55755_sany5608.jpg

55755_pork_chop.jpg

I've got two BSL, they are very sweet birds. Mine are very quiet and do well in confinement and get along with the other girls. I let mine out to free range at 6 pm and they will go back to the coop when it starts to get dark.

51698_dsc_0472.jpg

Back
Top Bottom