Black shoulder experts?

Spalding bronze black shoulder hen from this year hatch, daughter of the spalding bronze hen split black shoulder in the previous pictures.

Yes, I got them as a pair, but i don't think the male is spalding, he is small in size and don't have any signs that shows he is a Spalding. This brown bird on the right is a spalding bronze peahen, you can see the bronze black shoulder male in this video, he is the first one.
0.jpg

Is his crest as tight and upright as it looks in the photos?

And this is my older hen which i'm sure its a bronze black shoulder hen(left one):

Yes, I got them as a pair, but i don't think the male is spalding, he is small in size and don't have any signs that shows he is a Spalding. This brown bird on the right is a spalding bronze peahen, you can see the bronze black shoulder male in this video, he is the first one.
0.jpg
Maybe I'm confused by your photos... I thought the bird on the right in the top photo (which actually looks a bit like a hen in the picture) was the male you are referring to in the video... Are these different birds? They both seem to have tight crests
hu.gif

Last edited:
Maybe I'm confused by your photos... I thought the bird on the right in the top photo (which actually looks a bit like a hen in the picture) was the male you are referring to in the video... Are these different birds? They both seem to have tight crests
hu.gif
Oh yes, these are different birds, the bird on the right in the photo is spalding bronze peahen, that why she has tight crest, but the first black bird in the video is bronze black shoulder male, he does have tight crest now because his crest feathers are just growing back but he isn't Spalding.

Here are some new pics Arbor:

I looked closely at her neck, and i didn't find any colored feathers.

Last edited:
Are the colored feathers on the back of a BS hen supposed to be black, brown, or a combination?

On my regular IBBS hens I always felt the speckling was such a dark brown that it might as well be black, on my Bronze BS hen the speckling is a lighter brown. This also follows thru to the true tail feathers. Here is a picture showing one from my Bronze BS on top and the regular BS on the bottom, very obvious difference there. Cameo BS is even lighter, hard to see the variation at all.

I do not have any Purple BS hens, but I am guessing their true tail feathers would be very close in color to the bronze BS.

On my regular IBBS hens I always felt the speckling was such a dark brown that it might as well be black, on my Bronze BS hen the speckling is a lighter brown. This also follows thru to the true tail feathers. Here is a picture showing one from my Bronze BS on top and the regular BS on the bottom, very obvious difference there. Cameo BS is even lighter, hard to see the variation at all.

I do not have any Purple BS hens, but I am guessing their true tail feathers would be very close in color to the bronze BS.

Yaaay! Feather pictures
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom