Black spots in egg?

When to assist is a tough decision...I think the rule of thumb is 48 hours after internal pip. There's a good thread or article, not sure which, about assisted hatching, good tips and tricks in there. Here's two of them, both are good.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...hatching&t=ams_article&o=date&c[title_only]=1

I do think the yellow is just dried 'hatch gunk'.

Peeker:
upload_2018-7-9_9-23-10.png

When to assist is a tough decision...I think the rule of thumb is 48 hours after internal pip. There's a good thread or article, not sure which, about assisted hatching, good tips and tricks in there. Here's two of them, both are good.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...hatching&t=ams_article&o=date&c[title_only]=1

I do think the yellow is just dried 'hatch gunk'.

Peeker:
View attachment 1461272
Thanks I was looking for the first article. It had section on facing away from air cell. So sounds like let it go until this evening. I just worried with it so yellow. I don't see any blood spots so the viens were gone I'm Assuming. I added the article to my home screen.

Good to know! that is one thing I have stayed away from is hatching in a bator. I let my home bred incubators hatch for me[I have Muscovy's]
Yeah I read it's better to do that. but I'd probably be living in my coup lol I've read three books and storeys twice and when in the situation still Never know what to do. I guess it's just things you have to go through to know. Some say yellow is dry you have to wet it some say yellow is fine.

What a I've found with assisted hatching, and I've done a few(some I shouldn't have),
is to have your work tools and area all ready to go before removing egg from bator.
I use a hinged arm utility lamp to warm the area and to able to see well, I put it down low to warm area first then raise as little as possible to keep are warmer.
Coconut oil really work well for moisturizing dry membrane, a little tiny dab goes a long way. I use the tip of a metal nail file to scoop it up and apply it.
I like a small hemostat for breaking away tiny pieces of shell because of the rounded out tip, a tweezers would work too. A small pair of very sharp scissors, I use nose hair scissors for the blunt tip, same I use for my poodles ear hair and trimming around eyes.
Qtips are good too.

OK no puddle and if you zoom in it's eye is right there.. So you think all is well with it? Thank you!

Yep, aart is right, it missed the air cell, but that causes them to take a little longer. Usually they spend several hours in the air cell where we don't normally see them (although, don't ya love being able to candle thru the window on the NR? :D)
But the yellowish membrane has me a little concerned. Watch that membrane that it doesn't stick to the feathers. The pic looks fine for now, but if dries to the feathers, it could cause the duckling to not be able to turn. I'd give it a little more time, it has plenty of breathing room. But be prepared to oil up the membrane if you see it starting to stick.

Yep, aart is right, it missed the air cell, but that causes them to take a little longer. Usually they spend several hours in the air cell where we don't normally see them (although, don't ya love being able to candle thru the window on the NR? :D)
But the yellowish membrane has me a little concerned. Watch that membrane that it doesn't stick to the feathers. The pic looks fine for now, but if dries to the feathers, it could cause the duckling to not be able to turn. I'd give it a little more time, it has plenty of breathing room. But be prepared to oil up the membrane if you see it starting to stick.
Thank you!! Will I hurt the others hatching if I open it? Was thinking get humidity up higher so it doesn't drop below 65 when I open it. I love the view!! It's definitely the best.

Last edited:
Thank you!! Will I hurt the others hatching if I open it? Was thinking get humidity up higher so it doesn't drop below 65 when I open it. I love the view!! It's definitely the best.

If you do it quickly and carefully, the others will be fine. That’s really my biggest complaint with that incubator is that it’s hard to open and close and keep it aligned just right. I usually stick a fingernail under one side of the lid and just lift that side, to keep it basically in line.
You can also have a damp sponge ready to toss in when you open it, which will keep the humidity up as soon as you close it.

If you do it quickly and carefully, the others will be fine. That’s really my biggest complaint with that incubator is that it’s hard to open and close and keep it aligned just right. I usually stick a fingernail under one side of the lid and just lift that side, to keep it basically in line.
You can also have a damp sponge ready to toss in when you open it, which will keep the humidity up as soon as you close it.
Yeah that's the only complaint I would have to but compared to some others that's not bad at all to some reviews. Wish my husband was home. But sounds like I have some time. It did make it little bigger as the far as the shell

Attachments

• 20180709_111734.jpg
    20180709_111734.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom