Black spots on chicken's comb, wattles, and earlobe

Chickens Funny

Hatching
Jul 14, 2015
I was out this morning and saw black spots on my buff orpington's comb, wattles and earlobe. Is she getting a disease or is it too hot for her?

smile.png
Thank you. I was also wondering is the disease harmful or not?

Theres 2 kinds of fowl pox, wet and dry. Dry is not that bad but wet is. Several of mine have lived through dry pox without treatment and been just fine. I have no experience with wet pox but put fowl pox in the search box and you will get a slew of answers. I do know dry pox is the scabs on wattles and comb. I believe wet pox appear in the mouth and throat.

A couple of my hens got this. It wasn't a bad case. Just small black spots on the comb, and a few on the wattles. It started with my white leghorn. I used some grapefruit seed extract on it, and then oregano oil. I put it in their water, and some diluted in olive oil directly on the spots. Two other hens had it(I have 8 chickens in all) the same. It seemed to run it's course quickly(1 week)and never progressed to anything worse. I read that once they get it, they won't get it again. I didn't notice it on all of them so I am hoping the oregano oil in the water kept the others from getting it. Oregano oil and grapefruit seed extract are natural antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom