Black toe HELP

ARedHen

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 8, 2014
Indiana
She is three weeks old we got her because other chicks at the store were pecking on her toe. The end of her toe appears dead but closer to the foot looks swollen. What should we do??????

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you for the warm welcome. There does not seem to be anything cutting off the circulation in her toe
we got her with the black tip a week ago now it seems like the toe is getting irritated but the black does not seem to be spreading. I can take more pics if you like Thanks again!

My chick (about 3-4 weeks) has about the same exact thing as the one in the picture... She had some stuff wrapped around her toe and I pulled it off (this was obviously causing the problem..) She doesn't appear to be in pain but I want to help this poor baby. What do I need to do?? And is there any way to fix it?? Please help! Thanks...

Chicklady does your chick have swelling? because ours is swelling right in front of the black now. if we find any more information we will let you know Thanks.

I had a chick with a similar problem a couple weeks ago (see post here) and also noticed a little swelling at some point. I'm not sure if it was the start of an infection or just irritation. I applied more blue kote and gave her a little yogurt. I'll try to get a picture when I get home: the black part of her toe did fall off and the end remaining is thicker than her other toes, but she is happy and active and doesn't seem affected by it at all at this point. I'd just keep it clean/disinfected and watch for any discharge. Is the toe hot?

Pictures would be very helpful , also I didn't notice any discharge .but could you give me some tips on keeping it clean and disinfected and where to get blue kote . she seems fine and walks normal , the toe does not seem hot . I also would like to know how old your chick was when the toe fell off, and I just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH. I feel better knowing that someone else had a similar problem and the chick got better.

Back
Top Bottom