Black walnut

JNorth

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Western New York
I'm just wondering if black walnut is harmful to chickens. We have a tree that is very close to the coop and has started dropping walnuts, still in the thick green skin. Will it harm the girls if they peck at the green skin?

I don't think so. I know some horses are allergic to black walnuts but I'd think they would not bother chickens.

I found this statement:

The walnut extract was 100 percent effective in eliminating cyphaciasis parasites in mice, and at a higher doses it was 100 percent effective in eliminating ascariasis and heterakiasis parasites in chickens.

at this site

http://www.livestrong.com/article/542883-black-walnut-shell-for-human-parasite-removal/

I really don't think it will hurt them. I'd be surprised if they ate much of it anyway.

We have been having quite a few drop lately too. Today there was a wind storm and it sounded like WW3 with all the walnuts landing on the roof of the coop LOL

But what was the strangest thing is last night hubby and I found one inside the coop. We have no idea how it would get in there. He looked to see if it could be possible one landed and bounced in thru the pop door but there is no that is possible. Dunno??

My birds free ranged with two black walnut trees for years, I don't think they ever paid any attention to the nuts.

We had a large black walnut tree and 60 or so chickens free ranging around it. Never really noticed if they ate any of the husks. Never lost a bird to sickness. We never had a worm problem with these birds.

I had heard that it was poisonous to horses and I know what it can do to a vegetable garden
barnie.gif
, so I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to mess with my girls!!!

I had heard that it was poisonous to horses and I know what it can do to a vegetable garden
barnie.gif
, so I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to mess with my girls!!!
I have probably every toxic plant known for chickens on my property. Ive found that they will nibble on everything. But they will not eat it if its toxic. I have not had a sick bird or a loss of a bird from anything besides predators. They seem to extictually know what to eat and what to stay away from.

Almost every single tree in my yard is a black walnut tree. haha its awful.
But I haven't ever had a problem with my chickens pecking at the hulls or anything and neither of them have ever been sick.
So I'm thinking they probably stay away from them. If anything you would have to worry about the squirrels, and if your chickens are like mine, then they chase the squirrels off.

Back
Top Bottom