Black_cat's Brooder Thread! Come see my brooder ideas/plans/questions.

I was soooo stressed waiting for my chicks to arrive in the mail. I went to the post office before hand to let them know they would be coming, and to make sure they had my name and phone number.
It turns out that info is on the package itself, too, because the hatchery puts it on.
Once the chicks shipped, I called the post office every morning to ask if they came.
Once I got the phone call I FLEW to the post office to pick them up.
I was sure happy to hear chirping inside that box!
They were in the mail 2 1/2 days.
As soon as I arrived home, I examined each chick, head to toe, checked for pasty butt, etc., and then showed them their water by dipping their beaks.
I prepared a gallon of electrolyte water for them. I used “Save-A-Chick” electrolyte packets, but there are several different products like this. One packet to a gallon.
I had two chick waterers filled. I used warm water, like very luke-warm. I used the electrolyte water for the first two days.
After I could see that they were all drinking the water, (about 10 or 15 minutes), I put the feeder in with their chick feed. I showed them the food too, and it didn’t take any time until they were chowing down!

I was soooo stressed waiting for my chicks to arrive in the mail. I went to the post office before hand to let them know they would be coming, and to make sure they had my name and phone number.
It turns out that info is on the package itself, too, because the hatchery puts it on.
Once the chicks shipped, I called the post office every morning to ask if they came.
Once I got the phone call I FLEW to the post office to pick them up.
I was sure happy to hear chirping inside that box!
They were in the mail 2 1/2 days.
As soon as I arrived home, I examined each chick, head to toe, checked for pasty butt, etc., and then showed them their water by dipping their beaks.
I prepared a gallon of electrolyte water for them. I used “Save-A-Chick” electrolyte packets, but there are several different products like this. One packet to a gallon.
I had two chick waterers filled. I used warm water, like very luke-warm. I used the electrolyte water for the first two days.
After I could see that they were all drinking the water, (about 10 or 15 minutes), I put the feeder in with their chick feed. I showed them the food too, and it didn’t take any time until they were chowing down!
I know that once they ship, you are supposed to tell the post office to call you so that they don't leave the box to be brought to your house! I might order mine so that they come on the weekend, because my parents won't let me skip school to pick up chicks, and I don't trust them all that much to know what they're doing. Having electrolyte/nutrient water for just in case seems like a good idea, instead of waiting until they actually need it. Do you show them the chick food with their beak the way you do with the water, or just place them near it? Do you use a gravity fed chick feeder or one of the long ones?

Maybe keep a small fire extinguisher in your room and know how to use it. You still have something that provides a heat source near flammables. Malfunction or shorts could happen. You shouldn't have to use it. It is more of practicing good safety.
Another great idea. I will be making sure that my mountains of books that are usually everywhere are away from the area, as well as other flammables that aren't required for the brooder.

When you get the chicks from the post office, I'm assuming that you don't open the box while there, and you wait until you get home to open it?

Back
Top Bottom