Blackening Beak on Rooster Juvenile Looks like fungus or mold?

K9SPY

Chirping
Jul 16, 2019
My little feathered buddy is sick.

I have a juvenile male Rhode Island Red. He is approx 3-4 months old. Generally very active. He has a harem of chicklettes. 4 RIR females about 1-2 months old all VERY healthy. and 2 Silver Wyandotte females, also about 1-2 months old and VERY healthy.

They have one additional coop-mate. A laying hen RIR approx 6-9 months old. She is extremely tame and friendly. She initially had to be kept apart from the younger chicks, as she would harass all 7 of them. But lately is totally accepting of the entire flock.

All came from (2) different small local chicken farms with hundreds of birds at various life stages. (Not backyard operations, but not commercial.)

Symptoms: Both the Hen, and the little Rooster have had coughs for the entire time I have had them. (About 1 month.) They each came from separate farms about 30-45 mins apart. They each had the cough on day 1. The chicks were also split between the two farms, and not one chick has ever coughed except during a dust bath treatment. All the chicks are delightfully healthy. Both the older chickens have a cough and blackening beaks.

The coughs vary in intensity/frequency, but they do a short cough/sneeze/headshake and it sounds like there is some phlegm in there. There is off-and-on snot around one or both nostrils. Usually a yellow color. Lately I noticed that the hen gets a black crust around one of the nostrils. Some times there's fresh yellow snot around one or both.

The rooster had a terrible smell from around the time that I got him. after about 3 weeks, I tried bathing him. A lot of scaly junk and dirt came off and he generally smelled a LOT better. Once he dried and wasnt so pissed off at me, he was clearly better off. Peppier. Cleaner smelling. Feathers seemed fuller. Yes, he damn near went into shock and I had to keep him active but he came out OK.

During this bath, I noticed he had a SWARM of mites on him. I checked the rest of the flock. They ALLLLL have a deep mite infestation. They dont seem to have any irritated skin. But the VOLUME of mites on them is intense. I began powdering them with diatomaceous earth. I bathed one of the Wyandottes to see if it could help. Mostly it just stressed her out. She also did the shock game and I had to keep her warm and alert for a couple hours to make sure she did didn't die. In the end, I got the mites all over me, and she still has them on her and she could have died, so I have no plan to try and bathe the others.

It has been a few days. Powdering with diatomaceous earth seems to stress them out almost as much as a bath. The mites are still here... it has only been... 3 days? So, mites may still die off. May be too soon to tell. But the chicks do NOT like getting dusted! I don't BLAME them! It gets in their eyes and airway and such. They seem healthy after a couple of hours though. Just stressed and boogery after I dust them!

Apologies for my rambling! I am going to attach some pics of the troubled bills. I appreciate any help with diagnosis and treatment!

kc
K9SPY

Here is the young rooster... (hopefully 4 images are attached here)

Attachments

• D6A52CF0-4D79-4EBF-9D2B-917D42E1D399.jpeg
    D6A52CF0-4D79-4EBF-9D2B-917D42E1D399.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 97021CB9-CC41-4E8C-BF2E-BE71F82C13A6.jpeg
    97021CB9-CC41-4E8C-BF2E-BE71F82C13A6.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 958222C6-3A72-41FC-BBD1-3AF329287EAC.jpeg
    958222C6-3A72-41FC-BBD1-3AF329287EAC.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 0AF41662-F3E3-48EA-926A-660773132F9F.jpeg
    0AF41662-F3E3-48EA-926A-660773132F9F.jpeg
    633.7 KB · Views: 23
And here is the lovely chicken lady... good side first... followed by the side showing signs of "The Blackening". Also of note. She began laying on the second day I had her. She produces a perfect brown egg about 4-5 days a week, so far.

Attachments

• 4E727FAD-62CF-4A4E-9116-7C0FA4693337.jpeg
    4E727FAD-62CF-4A4E-9116-7C0FA4693337.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 5390E0F8-2430-48B4-9138-5FC74B1AB646.jpeg
    5390E0F8-2430-48B4-9138-5FC74B1AB646.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 25
Their water is changed no less then every other day. Changed. Flushed. Cleaned. Usually refilled with clean RO filtered water from our kitchen filter.

They have Manna Pro Layer Mix 16 and Chick Starter powder mess provided 24 hours. Leftovers discarded and bowls cleaned about once a week so far.

Just got the big hanging feeder/waterer pair a week ago.

Working good so far!

First off, DE will not kill mites easily. You need Poultry Dust. Give them a good dust bath in it twice - one week between dusts (Day 1 and Day 8 to kill hatchlings) and put it all over the coop and roosts too. Hopefully without the mite infestation, they'll be able to beat the respiratory infection on their own. If not, then you may need antibiotics.

Permethrin 10 is a spray also used, anything with permethrin. Poultry Dust works, DE is a good preventative but not a killer. Be very careful dusting the chicks, getting into their air ways can cause issues.

The black on your Roo looks to be a coloring of his beak. Are the 2 newbies in quarantine? Are the two newbies still exhibiting signs of respiratory issues? If so I'd separate them & treat. If not, you may want to keep a close eye on all.

Permethrin 10 is a spray also used, anything with permethrin. Poultry Dust works, DE is a good preventative but not a killer. Be very careful dusting the chicks, getting into their air ways can cause issues.

The black on your Roo looks to be a coloring of his beak. Are the 2 newbies in quarantine? Are the two newbies still exhibiting signs of respiratory issues? If so I'd separate them & treat. If not, you may want to keep a close eye on all.
Thanks for the help. All chickens were acquired on the same day.

I'll try shopping for Permethrin and Poultry Dust!

I hope you're right about the beak!

What gave me concern was the blackening on the one nostril of the hen. That's definitely not her coloring... hence I thought it might be a fungus or mold! \_O_/

TSC would have the Permethrin and Poultry Dust, Amazon does also.
The "black" on the hen, could just be crusted dirt & buggers ;)
I'd definitely agree that that's snot caked with dirt.

This is just me, but I wouldn't use DE, even as a preventative. It's a respiratory hazard for you and them. Just treat with permethrin and don't bother doing anything in the meantime. If they get infested again, treat again. Otherwise leave well enough alone.

I'd definitely agree that that's snot caked with dirt.

This is just me, but I wouldn't use DE, even as a preventative. It's a respiratory hazard for you and them. Just treat with permethrin and don't bother doing anything in the meantime. If they get infested again, treat again. Otherwise leave well enough alone.

OK.

How about the constant cough? Its been right around a month. They cough in fits, but I'd say 5 minutes never goes by without a cough. Even when they're sleeping its fitful with occasional less strong but still definite cough/headshake/sneeze actions. I feel like that's gotta be not normal?

Maybe its like 10 minutes, but it HAPPENS. Therefore, I'm concerned. :-( :)

Back
Top Bottom