Blackhead disease prevention 6/6/2015

I have safeguard 10% suspension liquid goat dewormer and general cure by API and will be getting antibiotic as I only have tylan 50 and penicillin On hand. I have read several threads on here and have found varying opinions on dosing both metronidizole and safeguard.
Tylan and penicillin won't treat E. coli, and birds with blackhead almost always get a secondary E. coli infection, so for that you would need something like Baytril.

The Safeguard dose my vet has me use when treating cecal worms is 50 mg/kg, so that's 1.8 ml for an 8 pound bird.
According to one vet i spoke with, the metronidazole dose should not exceed 60 mg/kg.

60 mg/kg for 8 pounds = 218 mg
50 mg/kg for 8 pounds = 181 mg

The AAAP manual says the metronidazole dose is 30 mg/kg, which is 109 mg for an 8 pound bird.

Your API has 250 mg metronidazole and 75 mg praziquantel.

If you can afford it, please go consult with a vet.

I do appreciate the information. I realize that tylan and penicillin do not treat the secondary infections associated with blackhead that's why I said I would be getting the appropriate antibiotic. There are no vets in my area that deal with poultry... Unfortunately the vet is not an option. Thanks again for the information.

Hurry and get the Bayrtil, 'cause it's been my experience that sometimes you have less than three days from onset of symptoms.

Sadly we lost our turkey hen. We had gotten the baytril and treated her yesterday but she didn't make it... Have 4 other turkeys... None of them are acting sick but woundering if we should treat the remaining four as they have most likely been exposed...

Sadly we lost our turkey hen. We had gotten the baytril and treated her yesterday but she didn't make it... Have 4 other turkeys... None of them are acting sick but woundering if we should treat the remaining four as they have most likely been exposed...
Sorry for your loss. You really should try to do a necropsy and confirm cause of death before treating the others. Pay special attention to the liver and the intestines.

Attachments

• Poultry-necropsy-Manual.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
This is what her liver looks like...
20170718_124207.jpg

Back
Top Bottom