bleeding from being pecked during molt

1n0o

Chirping
Apr 10, 2017
I have a black Australorp who is now 13 months old. She has lost the feathers on her back due to molting and she has been almost bald there for a couple of weeks now. I noticed she was staying away from the group of 4 other hens and 1 rooster as much as possible. I would find her in the coop while the other chickens were in the yard or alone in a bush. I have noticed they were chasing her off when I would bring out treats and scraps. She is the one skittish chicken that will not come eat out of my hand. When the rooster breeds her, she just lays there for about a minute. I have even walked up to her and sat down next to her and stroked her until she gets up again. Before, she would do the normal hen thing and get up, shake, and just move on. So with this history, I went out to find her yesterday and really inspected her back. There are actual holes where the quills have been pulled out. She has some new feathers trying to come in, but there was dried blood where I assume others have tried to pull them out. I sat with her in my lap and just loved on her for a while yesterday and gave her some cottage cheese and dried mealworms. So last night, I put a small coop right next to the chicken run and put her in there for the night. She was really upset and paced the grass on the small run part of that coop. I'm not sure if she ever went up to the closed in portion. She is still pacing this morning. Not sure if the separation is actually stressing her out more. My concern is that I believe she is getting pecked while the chickens are closed up in the run during the day. I let them out about 3-4 when family gets home and then they put themselves to bed around dusk. I thought I would let her out with the other chickens because she likes to be with them, but can go to the coop or find a bush to be alone if they start to pick on her, but cannot get away from the pecking when they must be more bored and shut up in the run during the day. Just wondering if this is a good plan. I read that she needs more protein during a molt, but cannot find the protein % on the pellet layer feed bag. Any suggestions or affirmation that I am doing the right plan would be appreciated. She doesn't seem sick in any other way, she is eating well and when they let her, she loves to stay with them scratching and looking for bugs.

I would suggest keeping her isolated for now until her feathers grow back and then slowly re-introduce her once she’s better. You could also try feeding her a feather fixer feed with extra oyster shells in another bowl so she can still lay and her feathers come in faster.

I agree it doesn't sound like molting... can you post pics?

Layer is usually 16% protein and it's listed on a tag that is sewn to the bottom of the feed bag. But it isn't just about protein it's about too much calcium in layer for birds not in lay. If fed long term *can* (doesn't mean will) cause gout and kidney failure.

Since I always have birds growing, molting, laying and roosters... I use Purina flock raiser with 20% protein and oyster shell on the side for active layers.

In addition... Australorps area dual purpose breed and will do best with at least 18% protein. 16% is meant to be the BARE minimum to support light bodied layers like leghorn.

If you do separate her... make it IN sight of the other birds.

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl

I would suggest keeping her isolated for now until her feathers grow back and then slowly re-introduce her once she’s better. You could also try feeding her a feather fixer feed with extra oyster shells in another bowl so she can still lay and her feathers come in faster.
Feather fixer... has about 18% protein... and it USE to contain sulfur to fight mites.

Hens DON'T lay during molt. The extra calcium will be processed and excreted. And extra oyster shell is NEVER needed during molt.

Please note... it isn't JUST about the protein... it's about the amino acids contained in the protein. And the reason for the suggestion of extra protein during molt is because feathers are made of 90% protein and it's amino acids... so it does help, but doesn't mean you have to go over board. :)

I have this same problem and I've put my molter in a small dog cage in the coop w/ food, water, and bedding. You'll be tempted to release her sooner, but don't do it until all the pin feathers are opened up. I made that mistake this weekend. My molter was out ranging w/ the others and they weren't messing w/ her so I let her out of the cage and w/ the other Saturday night, but Sunday evening I checked her and they'd pecked the same spot again and she was bleeding. A previous molter only needed a week in the cage until her shoulder feathers grew in and opened up, but this one apparently needed longer for her tail feathers.
I feed layer crumble and feather fixer pellets for added protein, but someone told me about this stuff called Calf Manna sold at TSC. It's safe for chickens and gives them extra vitamins (smells like black licorice).
I hope she gets her feathers back quickly. Good luck!

I now believe that depending on the breed of chicken you have the protein level requirements vary quite a lot depending on age.
This is very interesting to me and I have just recently began researching protein and calcium requirements per age.

This is just one simple chart that shows a quick example of protein level changes.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul.../nutritional-requirements-of-poultry#v4698580

If it just involves her rump area, she is being over-bred by the rooster and then maybe the other hens are picking at her afterward. You can order saddle aprons to protect the hen's backside and I would strongly suggest investing in one for your girl! Also they are attracted to the sight of blood, so you want to keep them apart as long as there is a wound. There is also an antiseptic product called Blu-Kote and it dyes the area blue, so other birds won't be attracted to pick at the wound. Keep her separated like you have, keeping her cage in the main run so she is still seen as part of the flock, until you are able to do one or more of these things. She may be upset but this situation could get way worse. Be strong for her, spoil her with cuddles and treats but keep her apart from the others.

she over mated & injured put her in cage next to flock so she can get better
not sure if she would be motling or if feather loss is from rooster u got pictures?

give her eats and vitamins
yes...I can take pictures tomorrow and post them.

Back
Top Bottom