Bless Their Heart... And Other Southern Sayings

Quote:
Yup, my parents always said, "Y'all are looking a might peak-ED today" instead of under the weather or green as I've heard other folks use.

Also if someone was lucky they'd say, "Y'all in TALL cotton now!"

Oh and there's the pronunciation too. Now is na-yow, H*ll no is Hay-ell Nah, The End is The A- yend. My husband is a California boy and he cracks up when I 'revert to my roots' around my family. He sits and smiles politely and nods his head and understands one word in 3. LOL!!!

When we're all playing music and singing he still just doesn't understand that a washboard and a 'jug bass' are valid musical instruments that actually take some talent to play! Y'all come on da-yown nah, ya he-uh?

Last edited:
My grandma used to say, "Not nary a one of those chickens was layin'!"

Or..."that dog is a sooner hound. He'd sooner look for a biscuit than hunt!"

wink.png

Non family friendly saying removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, "why, that poor little gal looked like a wheat sack tied in the middle, bless her heart!"

My mom always said that when she would try on a dress that was a little too snug . . .

Last edited:
Quote:
Here in South Texas we say they "blacktopped a cow path and called it a road"

We also do a lot of "reckoning. As in "I reckon I'll go cook some dinner".

Meals were called dinner, supper or lunch at various times. The big meal of the day was always dinner. Thus on weeknights we had dinner but we had Sunday dinner after church at midday on Sunday.

Sunday evenings we had supper (usually some leftovers from dinner with a few extra things thrown in). Weekdays and Saturdays we had lunch in the middle of the day.

the answer to: "How ya feelin'?"

"Oh, able to sit up and take nourishment."

o please keep this thread going. Ain't heard some 'a these in a 'coons age!

my granny always said britches for pants and drawers for undies. Her favorite saying was don't get ur drawers in a wad. that was don't get mad . If you got mad you were "madder than an old wet hen'.

Back
Top Bottom