Bless Their Heart... And Other Southern Sayings

Recon y'all 'll be over yonder? I figger.
Round here if yer feelin sickly, yer feelin poorly. Ifuns yer feelin REALLY sickly, yer feelin puny.
I'm lost as a goose in a tater patch
Stouter "n a old oak tree
Tighter 'n a bulls @$$ in fly season.
Meaner 'n a striped spider.
SHOOT-DANG!

Quote:
Bless your heart!! now thats respect.
smile.png

I don't think anyone from the south would be offended. They are proud of their heritage... They are proud of the history down there...and the people that came before them and forged these traditions... Most people from the south are friendly. They will stop any time of day and "shoot the breeze with you. They always have time... never rushed like up here. I like this thread a lot... it reminds me of home...
big_smile.png

the use of Ma'am and Sir- my grown daughter relocated here from California and couldn't get over being called Ma'am and men opening doors at gas stations! common around here, but rare for her

Quote:
I love the South. After 20 years I'd never go back to NY. They'd make fun of me saying 'y'all' anyhow.
roll.png

I think the South has some wonderful, colorful sayings. Sure, the weather is hotter'n all heck but the pace is relaxed and it seems like the important things in life matter more - family, friends, a good time, being outdoors, food.....I do appreciate the sense of humor Southerners have. Well, I suppose I'm sorta one now.

I know another thing that confused me as a new transplant years ago. Driving down the country road or in town, everyone waves at you. I'd drive to the Piggly Wiggly and every truck or car I'd pass - someone waves. I wave back...who was that? Do I know them? SHOULD I know them??? I pass a lady checking her mail, a man moving...all wave. It took awhile for my hand muscles to get used to all this new waving.
lol.png

My husband is from California and I’m from the backwoods of North Carolina….so he experienced quite a bit of culture shock upon moving here. All the people waving was a HUGE deal to him. And of course the hysterical corn likker incident of 20-double ought. (2000). Here are some of the things my family or myself have said that have made him howl.

I’m so busy I don’t know if I found a rope or lost a horse

Boy, she fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down

Colder than a witch’s tit in a brass brassiere

Colder than a welldiggers a** in Butte Montana

I believe that boy is about a half bubble off plumb (if someone is kinda crazy or dumb)

I ain’t got no dogs in this fight (if you wanna be neutral)

You younguns quit running ‘round like wild hooligans!

I wouldn’t pi** on him if he was on fire!

I ain’t got no use fer it.

And his all time favorite uttered by my papaw—why, that boy is so dumb if you was to put his brain in a hummingbird it would suck a mule’s ass for a morning glory!

Quote:
OMG! The last one is priceless! Kind of sounds like that one "if you stuck his brain in a gnat's ass, the gnat would fly backwards!".
The ugly tree one is classic!

Back
Top Bottom