Blind and confused hen.

The thing is, chicken feed is nutritionally correct for her. I would try to wean her onto the feed she ought to be on, layer pellets or crumbles. Maybe mix it like 4:1 with the egg she likes so well, and then gradually increase the feed & decrease the egg. I'm glad she's doing so well under your care!

Thank you all. Your all so kind and knowledgeable.
smile.png

Glad to see your hen could see some. My hen couldn't. It was difficult for her. She'd peck but wouldn't hit her mark. Even the ground, it took her several times to find it. But, your hen can see well enough to get along without too many problems. Forgot about the white bowl idea. Krisrose has a hen that doesn't see very much either and she used white bowls for her to find the food. You seem to be taking good care of her.
thumbsup.gif

She finds the bowls ok but gets more and more off target the emptier the bowl gets. I have to push what food is left towards where she is pecking. Now water.... no problems there. LOL!

I fed her the 2nd half of the egg with some more bread this afternoon. I added some Verm-X 100% Natural Internal Parasite Control to the mix. Hopefully this will rid her of any nasties. Needs to be done once a day for three days every month. I have also purchased some Mineral Powder with Probiotics & Seaweed. This is to be added to dry or wet mash.
Am I correct in assuming this means mashed potatoes? Sorry if it sounds stupid but with me not being experienced with poultry or its terminology this could mean anything to me. Mashed corn for example.
smile.png
Thanks.

It basically means the pellet food that has been ground up into a powder, the big boys use it in the commercial units as it is less wasteful because the chickens cant flick it out of the feed lines.

You can just slightly wet her pellets so the powder sticks to the feed or make some mash potato as a treat and put in there

Back
Top Bottom