Blind baby chick?

girls n guys

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
I just received my order of baby chicks, and it seems that one of them is blind. It doesn't open its eyes and when I try to they don't seem to open all the way. He/she is very weak and I am not sure if it is just weakness or if maybe it can't stand either. I have been trying to get it to eat and drink water, but I am not sure I have been successful. I received them this morning (through the mail), and it is the evening now, and it is still hanging on. I understand from the receipt that they were hatched maybe the 31st. They are Black Australorps. My question is: if it is blind, and survives the night, is there anything I can do for it? I have become kind of attached to it today and would really like to save it if I can.

I just got my chicks in the mail this morning as well, 2 of them wouldn't open their eyes... after a couple of hours they finally perked up and opened their eyes and began exploring the brooder. I wouldn't ignore it completely just saying there is hope that it is just being "stubborn" and not blind.

As far as getting it to drink have you tried putting a drop of water on his beak and letting it kind of roll along the side? I've done this with a couple that wouldn't drink and when I did it they would open their mouths and drink that little drop of water. It may help until someone more knowledgeable (sp) can come along and give you some advice.

it might not be blind. Just weak, try putting a little runny water starter one the edge of her beak. and if you have some gator aid try that.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom