Injured blind chick

Scaxxxy

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2023
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought I'd ask here. A chick of ours recently gotten attacked by some other chickens, and unfortunately they damaged her badly. It seems she's missing both eyes, if she were to make it. How would one exactly care for a blind chick?

Caring for a blind chick requires some adjustments to ensure its safety and well-being. Here are some tips:

1. Provide a Safe and Enclosed Environment: Set up a small, enclosed area where the chick can move around safely without the risk of further injury. Make sure there are no sharp objects or obstacles in its path.
  2. Consistent Environment: Try to keep the chick's surroundings consistent to help it navigate more easily. Avoid moving its food and water dishes or changing the layout of its enclosure frequently.
  3. Auditory and Tactile Cues: Blind chicks rely heavily on their other senses, particularly hearing and touch. You can use auditory cues, such as gently tapping near its food and water dishes to help it locate them. You can also guide the chick by gently touching it to direct its movements.
  4. Specialized Feeders and Waterers: Use specialized feeders and waterers designed for blind poultry, which are designed to be easier for blind birds to locate.
  5. Regular Checkups: Monitor the chick closely for any signs of discomfort or health issues. Without the ability to see potential threats, blind chicks may be more vulnerable to injury or illness.
  6. Social Interaction: If possible, provide the chick with companionship from other chickens, preferably ones that are gentle and won't pose a threat. This can help reduce stress and loneliness.
  7. Patience and Understanding: Caring for a blind chick requires patience and understanding. Be prepared to adapt and make changes as needed to ensure the chick's quality of life.
If you're unsure about how to proceed or if the chick's injuries are severe, consider seeking advice from a veterinarian experienced in poultry care. They can provide guidance on caring for the chick and may offer additional treatment options.

Caring for a blind chick requires some adjustments to ensure its safety and well-being. Here are some tips:

1. Provide a Safe and Enclosed Environment: Set up a small, enclosed area where the chick can move around safely without the risk of further injury. Make sure there are no sharp objects or obstacles in its path.
  2. Consistent Environment: Try to keep the chick's surroundings consistent to help it navigate more easily. Avoid moving its food and water dishes or changing the layout of its enclosure frequently.
  3. Auditory and Tactile Cues: Blind chicks rely heavily on their other senses, particularly hearing and touch. You can use auditory cues, such as gently tapping near its food and water dishes to help it locate them. You can also guide the chick by gently touching it to direct its movements.
  4. Specialized Feeders and Waterers: Use specialized feeders and waterers designed for blind poultry, which are designed to be easier for blind birds to locate.
  5. Regular Checkups: Monitor the chick closely for any signs of discomfort or health issues. Without the ability to see potential threats, blind chicks may be more vulnerable to injury or illness.
  6. Social Interaction: If possible, provide the chick with companionship from other chickens, preferably ones that are gentle and won't pose a threat. This can help reduce stress and loneliness.
  7. Patience and Understanding: Caring for a blind chick requires patience and understanding. Be prepared to adapt and make changes as needed to ensure the chick's quality of life.
If you're unsure about how to proceed or if the chick's injuries are severe, consider seeking advice from a veterinarian experienced in poultry care. They can provide guidance on caring for the chick and may offer additional treatment options.
I second all of this!
Good luck with the poor baby!

This is great information! I was planning on doing this for my rooster that got into a fight with another rooster. And I thought that he was blinded from it ( he was alright blind in one eye from a previous fight) but luckily he turned out to still be fine in his good eye. I have to chickens currently that can only see good in one eye they both get along fine it seems. I hope everything goes fine with your chick!

Back
Top Bottom