Blind Chickens

@CluckingCrazyCoop I totally get the mamas boy rooster thing. My Zepper boy runs up to me and sometimes even cries till I hold him. Also isn't it so exciting when roos start getting all their little accessories? Gwynne is going to look so handsome when he's a big boy. Also I wonder, does he still try to mount the hens?

@Lovem all his hormones for that haven’t kicked in yet, so we will see... no pun intended lol
He crows his little heart out in the morning but is mostly quiet the rest of the day. I just hope he doesn’t become aggressive out of frustration at being able to get the girls if he can’t due to his sight. My husband and I agreed to just take it one day at a time while he matures and adjust the plan and his needs as necessary.
And yes Gwynne bawks for me to pick him up as well. He usually will stand between my feet or on my sneaker until I get the hint. If I crouch down he sits under me, I always tel him I can’t hatch him cause he’s already a big boy lol
What kind of rooster is Zepper?

I have a hen I'm pretty sure is blind. I would love any tips/advice. She is about 20 weeks. We have a movable coop, and they are free to roam around the property during the day. She tends to stay in the coop by herself. In the last day or so she seems to like sitting in the corner of the coop, and gets a little grumpy (squawking) if any other chicken gets too close. She's such a sweet girl, I just want to try and make life as nice and safe for her as we can.

I have a hen I'm pretty sure is blind. I would love any tips/advice. She is about 20 weeks. We have a movable coop, and they are free to roam around the property during the day. She tends to stay in the coop by herself. In the last day or so she seems to like sitting in the corner of the coop, and gets a little grumpy (squawking) if any other chicken gets too close. She's such a sweet girl, I just want to try and make life as nice and safe for her as we can.
Mine does spend a lot of time in the coop during the day. She does leave to get water and food, and does spend some time with the others out in the run. I think she is just overwhelmed by all the activity of the others, especially when she can't see exactly what is going on. So it's more peaceful and restful for her to be in the coop. She is getting enough to eat/drink, as she is roughly the same weight as the others. In fact, I think she is maturing a little quicker than the others. I'm only going by comb/wattles, but hers are larger and more red than the others. She is 15 weeks old.

Just checked my coop cam..and yep..she's in there! :)
IMG_1369.jpeg

It's cool to see how everyone treats heir blind babies differently, keeping them with the flock, by themselves, or inside. My Hellen lived by herself (except for when we had guineas they slept in her pen at night and let me tell you the guineas might attack every other chicken but they never once tried to hurt hellen, the loved her) because she was getting attacked by the other chickens and could not figure anything out by herself so we kept her in on separated area with food and water in the same spots everyday. @NTroyer maybe because it is a movable coop it stresses her out because her surroundings change and she can't memorize them. Perhaps she needs her own enclousure. @vantain you may want to also give your girl an area alone. They eed to be able to have a lot of stability when they are blind. It's less stressful and easier for them. Now they don't have to be all by themselves, they can me given a friend but watch out because even the nice chickens aren't always nice.

Back
Top Bottom