blinders on horses

ninny

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
IL side of the QCA
im wondering what opinions people have with blinders. Im going to start one pony driving this spring and retrain a another. I have blinders now and the one pony was train to them. but im just not sure about them. is there a real good reason to use them or could i not use them. i would have to get a new headstall though. as the one i have has them.

if you are going to actually drive them,yes use them,,for a lot of horses its just too much to think about to have a cart or buggy behind them and a car coming up beside them and maybe a kid on a bike in front of them,then throw in a couple dogs running around and the wind blowing trash across the road,sensory overload and runaway pony is bound to happen at some point..with blinders if something bothers them you can turn the head a fraction and they dont see it,what horses dont see=a calm horse,dont worry about the noise these things make,usually the noiseir it is the less they will spook from it.its seeing things that sets them off,and its bad enough on their back,try it in a cart,you cant turn them sharp and in a circle so you have to let them run it out and try to keep them in a straight line so you dont flip the cart and kill yourself and the horse..horses are cheap but hospital bills and funerals are not.I would NEVER drive without blinders..

I would say it's a personal choice thing, some horses tend to do better with them and some are fine w/out them. Some people will not use them, and some won't drive without them.

I drive my mini Skip w/ them, but he'd probably be fine in an open bridle. Just deside what you prefer and go w/ it, assuming your horse(s) are ok w/ the idea.

Quote:
Sorry the blinders do not make horses blind but blind about seeing whats behind them.......some will do well with them and some dont. All depends on the trainer and horse preferences.

It quiets their flight response until they can get a better look. You can get a hood with the Blinders or Blinkers on that goes under the headstall so that it can be used or not used if it doesn't work out.

Orchidchick

DON'T USE BLINDERS they are what the name says they are they make the horse blind I will never use them

Using blinders is not a cruelty. In fact it is a kindness, especially when a horse is just being started driving. They have a much wider field of vision than we do, so they can see the cart/wagon behind them peripherally. Many think the cart is "chasing" them and that causes them to panic. Later when they are more experienced, any movement of the driver becomes a constant distraction that interferes with their ability to concentrate on the job at hand.

The occasional race horse can benefit from blinkers as well when the "pack" around them of other racing horses panics them.

But I do agree that a regular saddle horse should not wear blinders or blinkers. They need to know what is going on around them.

HTH​

I would suggests trying it both ways. When I started driving my gelding he was HORRIBLE with the blinders. When I switched to the open bridle he was great. he is one of those horses htat if he can see something he is not afraid of it - but the "unknown" is what freaks him out. He is not a spooky horse by nature so that propbably made a difference with him also.
Good Luck - and be sure to post pics
big_smile.png

Among very experienced trainers of driving horses, it's mostly just a matter of personal preference (and to some extent, particular horse).

However "if you have to ask..."
wink.png
then I think it would be a lot safer to use them, although NOT in any way whatsoever as a substitute for getting the horse slowly and systematically accustomed to the various things that might spook him. I don't know how many horses you've started driving, but *please* be careful. Not all sorts of spooks are preventable by blinkers, and it is easier to have a great big wreck, with serious permanent damage to horse and/or person, when starting them in the shafts than when starting them under saddle.

Good luck, have fun, be safe,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom