Blinders

horsechick

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Eaton, Ohio
Hi,
I was wondering where do you get these blinders for birds to wear so they don't peck, A friend was telling me about them and at first I didn't believe it. LOL!
He printed out an add for them and thought they were pretty obsolete?
But I just saw a photo of some pheasants wearing them and wondered if alot of people use them on gamebirds etc.
Thanks for any info,
Angela

A lot of people might not think this, but... I think they are a waste of money. (If you are talking about pheasants) If you have a nice large pen, brush piles (I have scrap wood in mine), and hiding places they wont kill eachother, I also found that if you give each bird 30-40 sq. feet they will not peck eachother.

Quote:
As ticks stated, they are a waste of money. Provide space, cover, and enrichment and you will have NO problems with picking.

blindersfatal.jpg

If a bird wearing this escapes, they have a little chance of survival in the wild. The birds can also hang themselves in the mesh, suffer permanent damage to their neres and face, and obstruct airways. Also, how do you explain to a visitor to your aviaries what that thing is? Another item that gives the AR nuts ammo.

Dan

A horrid practice that I would love to see eliminated.

lol.png

Thanks for the info.
I saw these on a site for gamebirds and all their birds were wearing them in the photo.
If I can find it I will post where its at again.
Thanks.
Angela

Are those things hard to put in? I always thought they were used on the birds when they had to be confined at more than one a cage for transport so they didn't injure each other from pont a to point b. Didn't know it was a long term life style thing.

Back
Top Bottom