BLK AUS EGG SIZE

Jan 20, 2023
Although I am happy with their egg production the increase of egg size is lacking . Getting small to small medium after roughly 8 wks of laying. If memory serves me our RIR and BAR RKS were dropping bombs at this age Any input from Australorp keepers welcomed. Same layer feed used on previous flocks with all day free range. Not going to trade them in just curious on their size production. Described as med to large egg layers.

Same layer feed used on previous flocks with all day free range.
This doesn't have any impact on the egg size.

My BA lays a large pinkish brown egg and she lays well up until her molt and starts up pretty early in the spring. Still going strong at over 5 years old.

This doesn't have any impact on the egg size.

My BA lays a large pinkish brown egg and she lays well up until her molt and starts up pretty early in the spring. Still going strong at over 5 years old.
I know they are slightly smaller in size to the Rock Types and the free range is more for their contentment. First time with the Lorps and was curious. I think it might be "ME", impatient.:he

My Black Australorp, Little, laid a 17 gram egg as her, and my, first egg. She lives up to her name as laying the smallest eggs of my flock. They are usually in the 50-58 gram range. The other two BAs lay anywhere from 58 (small for them) to 64 grams.

Little did lay the biggest egg I ever got: 71 grams, a double yolk. I felt badly for her.

My Black Australorp, Little, laid a 17 gram egg as her, and my, first egg. She lives up to her name as laying the smallest eggs of my flock. They are usually in the 50-58 gram range. The other two BAs lay anywhere from 58 (small for them) to 64 grams.

Little did lay the biggest egg I ever got: 71 grams, a double yolk. I felt badly for her.
:lau

Good Toledo! Has she been on extended vacation in the Bahamas since laying that one?
No. It was just the one time, thank goodness.

This info blew my mind: when an egg starts down the pipe, it's small end first. When it's laid, it comes out round end first. So, at some point, it's sideways... Ow... Just... Ow...

As for egg mass, make sure protein is up to scratch (see what I did there?) Make sure the amino acids are all correct. Grab the requirements sheet for australs. I know how hard it can be in Aus to know exactly what amounts of anything are on anything, as much as they love to charge you a mint for it (per another conversation with my Aussie buddies).

Be careful of too much methionine, causes brain damage--got to go! My hen is eating a cushion. Shes up to zipper! (Im not home and this is what you get when rels house sit)

Although I am happy with their egg production the increase of egg size is lacking . Getting small to small medium after roughly 8 wks of laying. If memory serves me our RIR and BAR RKS were dropping bombs at this age Any input from Australorp keepers welcomed. Same layer feed used on previous flocks with all day free range. Not going to trade them in just curious on their size production. Described as med to large egg layers.
Have extra calcium too. Oyster shell is perfect. Phosphorus at 160mg per day per os per bird will be good.

(And I just worked out what BLK AUS means ha slow).

Back
Top Bottom