Bloated Serama

Oct 22, 2020
We have a Serama hen (not sure of age, but over 2 according to the previous owner) that my wife just discovered is bloated like a balloon. Her entire abdomen (not just her crop) is swollen and distended and she has some raspy breathing going on. We looked into waterbelly, but my wife is convinced that it's not waterbelly based off the fact that she was/is eating fine and is not lethargic, nor does she have pale or blue comb/wattles. I am skeptical of a ruptured air sac based off of the fact that her entire abdomen is swollen, not just a lump. Any ideas on what it is and/or what to do for her?

Subcutaneous emphysema or a leaking air sac causing air under the skin is common when there is a blunt trauma injury, but also can happen with an infection and air sacculitis. If an 18 gauge sterile hypodermic needle is used, it works well, but I used a 22 gauge needle and syringe to aspirate air from a 2 week old baby who was bumped. You can also prick the skin with a sterilized sewing needle and press the air out. Disinfect the skin before puncturing. A leaking air sac can cause sudden labored breathing, and the needle aspiration may ease that.

Back
Top Bottom