Blood at pip hole.

Tstraub

Crowing
Apr 6, 2023
Bluffton, Indiana
I’m pretty new to incubation and chickens in general. Today is hatch day and I have 5 out so far and at least 4 pips that I can see. One of the pips has blood coming out. Not like running out but it’s definitely red around the hole. I can see the chicks beek and it’s still moving and continuing to open the hole up. What are its chances of surviving? Can I do something to help?

Attached is a picture its the dark brown marans egg in the back

Attachments

• E1B2FB45-2EBA-4394-97B7-67DA66F98E89.jpeg
    E1B2FB45-2EBA-4394-97B7-67DA66F98E89.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 85
It’s dried off but it doesn’t look right. I believe it has wry neck. It spends most of its awake time looking straight up. It can walk around but it’s way off balance and isn’t really looking where it’s headed. It was getting trampled by the other chicks so I went ahead and broke lockdown and quickly retrieved all dry chicks and moved them to a brooder. I don’t see any open pips so I felt somewhat safe opening it up. The incubator humidity dropped from 75 to 50 but recovered within just a few minutes.

The one with the crooked neck is in an isolation box inside the brooder where she can stay warm but not get trampled. After doing some research I believe the next step in to try to get some vitamin E and selenium in her. If she doesn’t make a turnaround in a day or so I’ll probably have to cull her. I simply don’t have the time to hand feed and water her several times a day. If she looks to get well enough to eat and drink on her own by the time she needs to eat and drink I’ll end it rather than let her starve.

Please know if this sounds like a good plan or if I’m doing something wrong.

It’s dried off but it doesn’t look right. I believe it has wry neck. It spends most of its awake time looking straight up. It can walk around but it’s way off balance and isn’t really looking where it’s headed. It was getting trampled by the other chicks so I went ahead and broke lockdown and quickly retrieved all dry chicks and moved them to a brooder. I don’t see any open pips so I felt somewhat safe opening it up. The incubator humidity dropped from 75 to 50 but recovered within just a few minutes.

The one with the crooked neck is in an isolation box inside the brooder where she can stay warm but not get trampled. After doing some research I believe the next step in to try to get some vitamin E and selenium in her. If she doesn’t make a turnaround in a day or so I’ll probably have to cull her. I simply don’t have the time to hand feed and water her several times a day. If she looks to get well enough to eat and drink on her own by the time she needs to eat and drink I’ll end it rather than let her starve.

Please know if this sounds like a good plan or if I’m doing something wrong.
Did you end up taking it out of the egg or did it get out completely on its own?

There is no need to rush to make a decision but if it isn't up and moving normal by tomorrow and it looks off...I personally would cut it's head off.

Did you end up taking it out of the egg or did it get out completely on its own?

There is no need to rush to make a decision but if it isn't up and moving normal by tomorrow and it looks off...I personally would cut it's head off.
It made it out of the shell without help. It’s doing better now. I was probably just overthinking things. It’s now with the other ones and I honestly couldn’t tell you which one had the problem. They’re all acting like baby chicks now. A couple are still a little clumsy trying to figure out how their legs work but seem to be getting around well enough to get to or away from the heat, water, food etc.

Probably just an overthinking sleep deprived papa hen worrying over nothing. Does anyone else lose sleep over these goofy little fuzz balls?

Attachments

• 8B79ECD3-A6B5-480A-BDEE-0F76CDC6C6F5.jpeg
    8B79ECD3-A6B5-480A-BDEE-0F76CDC6C6F5.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom