Blood covered egg!!!

zmender

Chirping
Feb 1, 2022
Hello,

When I picked up the eggs today, I've noticed that one of the eggs is completely covered in dried blood! The pine shaving around is also stained.

Behavior wise, the hens are normal - they are running around the yard scratching and having fun.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Attachments

• tempImageuCJNyx.png
    tempImageuCJNyx.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 173
She’s a 2yrs old leg horn. Never happened before. This morning she’s lethargic and seems to have blood in poop as well.
That looks like a lot of blood. First I would clean up her bottom and examine her vent to see if she had been pecked or injured. Blood will attract her flock members.

My next thought would be to treat for coccidiosis.

Has she been recently wormed?

Wow, when I saw your thread title, I was expecting to see a blood-smeared egg, not an egg totally covered in blood. I am going to defer to the medical experts that @NanaK tagged, but while you wait to hear from them, do you still have the egg? If so, I would examine, then wash the blood off and crack open the egg. Determine if the shell is normal, and also if the egg white and yolk appear normal. Take pictures as you go, to help identify what's up with that egg.
Is the temp very hot where you are? I'd

Are you certain which hen produced this blood covered egg? If so, she may be bleeding internally somewhere in her oviduct. While it's not abnormal for an occasional broken blood vessel to smear and stain an egg, this sort of bleeding is abnormal.

First, do as @Allsfairinloveandbugs recommended, boost her fluids as well as her glucose with water and electrolytes and added sugar. See if that helps her to behave normally.

If she doesn't respond, you may need to start treating for common issues and see how she does. First treat for both worms and coccidioisis. It's safe. If that doesn't help her revive, then start her on an antibiotic in case this involves infection. What meds do you have on hand?

Back
Top Bottom