BLOOD EVERYWHERE IN CAGE AND ON FEET ON QUAIL

Quailiesss

Chirping
Jul 26, 2017
PLEASE HELP MY QUAILS I BELIEVE MUST HAVE BEEN ATTACKED LAST NIGHT SINCE THIS MORINING I FOUND BLOOD EVERYWHERE IN THEIR CAGE (IMAGES BELOW) AND MY QUAILS’ FEET WERE COVERED IN BLOOD AND SCABS (I GOT A CLOSER LOOK AT ONE, IMAGE BELOW) PLEASE HELP IDK IF THEY HAVE BUMBLEFOOT AS WELL THEY WERE FINE WHEN I CHECKED THEM LAST NIGHT BEFORE I WENT TO SLEEP WHAT DO I DO HELP!

55C7AB7F-1131-4C60-B523-EF800AD8ECB9.jpeg
58A135A9-B99D-4E94-9120-D47CDAE5F6A0.jpeg
139551D4-6F88-48DF-B424-B934625F13A7.jpeg
1D2A2E6E-B011-4337-8237-AAA27F76D6F4.jpeg
0930ADEF-3564-4B55-882D-69164627DFF2.jpeg

Yikes, that looks like a rat attack. I'm so sorry, I've never had this happen to my beloved quail, but I've seen chickens who have been attacked by rats and the rats burrow under the ground to where their cage is and eat their feet from under the ground. I hope your quail can recover soon, best wishes.

No, they were both there, sorry if my explanation was a little confusing, i was kinda panicking there. there was all that blood in the cage and all three of them had these black scabs on their feet. but the photos i took were on the worst one, her toe just was hanging on by a thread (replaced by blackish brown scab ). its all kinda settled down and i brought all three inside in a different small cage which i put a towel over ( for warmth ) and gave them my homemade electrolyte drink ( water, sugar and salt ) and now they're all just standing still, staring off into the distance. i think they may be suffering shock because they've been in the same position for an hour or so, and i don't think me dipping their beak in my electrolyte water helped. need help on how to treat shock, and also, in the morning i'll have to treat their wounds, any idea on that? :s

1. I live in Australia but believe it or not it’s 60 degrees Fahrenheit here’s brrrrrr
2. Originally outside when they were attacked, I put them in a small cage instide now. But it’s still really cold inside.
3. No I live in the suburbs but there’s a beach nearby I know foxes love at
4. It was a wire cage, but I saw a hole had been bent so something could climb in easily. It must have been a fox attack, but why would the fox only go for their feet? Hm.

I would also feel that this is a rat or mouse that has bitten feet. The openings in the cage must be smaller to keep them out. 1/2 inch hardware cloth or a solid bottom with the 1/2 hardware cloth on the sides and top would be safer. I would use iodine to treat the wounds. If one is too weak to eat and drink, then take it aside to feed and water it throughout the day.

Back
Top Bottom