Blood feathers not erupting - why?

Jossy J

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
I hope I'm using the correct terminology. My silkie / cochin / frizzle cross rooster has been missing his tail feathers for several months. I was waiting for the fall moult thinking that they would grow back in at that time. He has moulted but only one tail feather has grown in. Upon closer examination, it looks like all of the blood feathers are there but can't erupt through the skin. There seems to be a white substance on the top of each blood feather. On several feathers, it looks like they have tried to grow but can't break through the skin and the skin is protruding upwards.

It looks fairly painful but otherwise he is healthy. I have a mixed flock of 29 banty chickens which are all healthy at this time.

I have never dewormed my chickens. I do have a few cases of scaley leg mites which I treat regularly with Vaseline that seems to keep it under control.

He's a good little guy and I would like to help him. I've done a search but can't seem to find anything similar to this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Can you post a picture?

I wonder if its like an infected hair follicle or in grown hair for humans.

Hopefully someone will be able to chime in that has had this happen before. Maybe for now some bag balm might make him feel better on it.

Thanks for the responses. I'll try and post a picture but it will have to be in a couple of days (technical issues). It seems to have affected about 10 follicles and only in the tail area.

Back
Top Bottom