Blood for Stool

krissyweso

Songster
May 26, 2020
Kent Island, Maryland
One of my 6 week old chicks started pooping just blood. I noticed that her poop was a little bloody last night, but now it's JUST blood.

A little background... I recently took them off medicated feed and on starter/grower, and I've started putting them with my full grown chickens during the day. Since they were born, it has been three of them with their mom.

I'm thinking it's coccidiosis, so I started treating their water with corid, but I've never seen this much blood in my chicken's stool before. I'm a little freaked out.
1000002151.jpg
1000002152.jpg

Thoughts?
1000002153.jpg

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Oh no, poor sweet little Silkie. Just keep treating with the Corid and give it time to work. I purchased EE chicks and they had a terrible outbreak of frank blood poops. Just like your photo. They were super pale (white) too. But, they all made it through! Give her yogurt and scrambled eggs--little extra nutrition!

Thank you so much! That's helpful to hear
Oh no, poor sweet little Silkie. Just keep treating with the Corid and give it time to work. I purchased EE chicks and they had a terrible outbreak of frank blood poops. Just like your photo. They were super pale (white) too. But, they all made it through! Give her yogurt and scrambled eggs--little extra nutrition!

Make sure your dose is correct for the Corid, 1 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water. I would also give her an oral dose in addition to the medicated water, to help get the medication in and working. Dosing for the oral dose is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
Corid is very safe, no worries with doing both.
That's exactly what I did! And fits idea about the oral dose. I'll do that now.

Also, just a side note, I do live in Maryland where our air quality has been "Very Unhealthy" on the air quality index for the last couple of days due to the wildfires in Canada. If it's not coccidia, I wonder if that could have something to do with her illness.

Back
Top Bottom