Blood in coop under where she was sleeping, wobbly,

Pacificastrange

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
It is 6:30 am when I let my 4 girls out of their coop 20 mintues ago. All came out but Giz - Americana, 10 months old. Previously in great health up to yesterday. Laying pretty regularly. Under where she was sitting there was bloody discharge - heck - frank blood mixed in with shavings. No trauma that I can detect. She went out of coop and was wobbly. Drank once from water andlaid down. The other three are fine. Please help. I love this girl. She is the most bonded to me.....

Is she new to your place? Or are there any other birds new to your place?

If no, it's very unusual for cocci to affect a chicken that old. I might suspect an egg-laying problem or that she might've swallowed something like a nail.

I would bring her in and put her in dark place (to slow down/stop her laying cycle) and give her a good overall examination. If you suspect an egg problem, try a warm bath and then rest in that dark place with some boiled egg yolks and vitamin/electrolyte water.

She is not new to us, all 4 of these (2 americanas and 2 reds) we have had since they were 5 days old. We consistently get an egg each from the reds but we don't always get two blue ones, did not know if it was her or Bella - so maybe it is an egg problem. Right now she is laying nestled in a towel at my feet. She is calm, breathing regularly, gives a few clucks, but is certainly not trying to get up. I will look her over thoroughly, I really haven't yet. I am posting a picture in a few minutes. thank you. I will do as you suggest...Should I try to force water down her? Also, electrolyte water - - like gatoraid??? or regular water with drops?

I'm not really one to force water sick chickens, but i will dip their beaks in the water to encourage them to drink.

As to the water, i use a powder that i think is polyvisol w/o iron. I got it from a friend, and i'm not exactly sure what it is.
hide.gif

But anything like that - or even some gatorade will have some added nutrition to help her body recover from whatever is going on.

54167_tn2.jpeg

54167_tn.jpeg

54167_tn3.jpeg

The first two pictures is what I found this morning and the third one is what just came out of her here in the house with me.

That looks like an awful lot of blood to me.

I don't have any experience with this kind of internal injury, but i'm hoping that that last one is an indication that whatever is injured is healing and clotting up (in a good way).

Did she pass anything with it? Like a staple or a nail or egg shell?

No...I just went to the coop and hand-picked through all of the poop that was underneath where she was perched along with the clotted blood..(I thought I had a strong stomach)...and there was no glass, staple or nail. She pecked a couple of times at the hard-boiled egg and seems to be resting comfortably. I'm going to call the feed store as soon as it opens and call our vet (not sure if they see chickens). Thanks for all the suggestions and support. I will update ... Lisa

Back
Top Bottom