Blood in Droppings

chickenthyme

Songster
Feb 3, 2018
NE Ohio
Just started using a droppings board two days ago. Very upsetting to find yesterday a bloody dropping but also fairly close to it, I also found an egg with a soft shell so since my girls are just about 5-1/2 months and not all laying yet, I was hoping that was the cause of the bloody dropping.

Today however, there were two droppings with blood in them but there was also a soft shelled egg in the nesting box too. :confused:

No one seems to be acting like they aren't feeling well and I have no idea who it might be. I don't think my two youngest are the ones and in fact, didn't sleep on the roost last night and 3 of the 5 older girls have already started laying regularly so it narrows it down to two.

Any thoughts? Thanks once again.

Sometimes when hens start laying there can be a few odd dodgy looking eggs. Make sure that they are on layers pellets now if not already and have grit/oystershell for them to pick at. The blood could be from starting to lay also they do shed Intestinal lining in the poo. Check there condition and demeanor as to whether they could have coccidiosis. If they are lethargic, hunched up, standing alone, not looking great it could be a possibility. If not just keep a close eye on them and see if it continues.

Just started using a droppings board two days ago. Very upsetting to find yesterday a bloody dropping but also fairly close to it, I also found an egg with a soft shell so since my girls are just about 5-1/2 months and not all laying yet, I was hoping that was the cause of the bloody dropping.

Today however, there were two droppings with blood in them but there was also a soft shelled egg in the nesting box too. :confused:

No one seems to be acting like they aren't feeling well and I have no idea who it might be. I don't think my two youngest are the ones and in fact, didn't sleep on the roost last night and 3 of the 5 older girls have already started laying regularly so it narrows it down to two.

Any thoughts? Thanks once again.
Was is blood or intestinal lining? Can you post a picture if you find any tomorrow?
It isn't uncommon for new layers to through some odd eggs. I actually got a shell-less egg inside a shelled egg yesterday from a pullet who had already laid 5 perfect eggs.
What are you feeding them? Do you offer oyster shell on the side near the feeder?

A a sample.jpg
A a sample 2.jpg

These are from this morning.

Those look like bloody droppings to me. Often if the blood is from laying an egg you will often see it on the egg, or see blood drops randomly on roosts, bedding, or boards. Since it is only in droppings, for safeties sake I would treat for coccidiosis. Treatment is Corid (if you are not in the US, product may be different), which is very safe, so I would treat. Treatment chart is below, use the severe outbreak dosing and make sure it is the only water available during treatment, and don't supplement vitamins during treatment as it may reduce the effectiveness of the medication.
900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

Oh man......was hoping for better news. :( Does this mean any eggs laid are no good once they take this? I assume I just have to treat all of them since I don't know who has it? I am in US. Is this something you can pick up at Tractor Supply?

Oh man......was hoping for better news. :( Does this mean any eggs laid are no good once they take this? I assume I just have to treat all of them since I don't know who has it? I am in US. Is this something you can pick up at Tractor Supply?
If you use Corid (Amprolium) there is no egg withdrawal/throw away period, so the eggs are safe to eat. Corid is not an antibiotic.
I would treat them all,make sure the mixed water is the only water they drink for 5-7 days.

Yes, you can find it in Tractor Supply, look in the cattle section - it comes in liquid or powder.
upload_2019-9-4_11-15-31.png
upload_2019-9-4_11-15-41.png

Back
Top Bottom