Blood in poo or just intestine?

I rescued 10 chicks 2 weeks ago...Sunday I went out and the smallest passed away. Another chick looked sleepy and didn't run to the food dish like everyone else. I brought it inside and kept it quiet. It passed before dinner. Monday morning I had another chick look sleepy and not come for feed. I put it in a crate by itself and when I came home for lunch to check on it, it had also passed away. I went immediately and got the curid liquid and mixed a batch. I cleaned all the cages with bleach water and the barn area where they had been staying. I noticed two other chicks that were very pale and sleepy so I pulled some of the medication up in a syringe and tried to dribble it so they would swallow it, but apparently I was too late because I found them this morning. I mixed a fresh batch of the curid in their water and when I came home at lunch..I found 5 happy hungry chicks with pink combs and bright normal colored beaks. I'm new to this chick thing...curid works and for me it worked fast. *fingers crossed* I just wished I had recognized the signs earlier. My guys never had funny looking poop...but they smelled terrible. I guess that should have been a sign..but never having young chicks I had no idea.
Hope your gals start feeling better!

I rescued 10 chicks 2 weeks ago...Sunday I went out and the smallest passed away. Another chick looked sleepy and didn't run to the food dish like everyone else. I brought it inside and kept it quiet. It passed before dinner. Monday morning I had another chick look sleepy and not come for feed. I put it in a crate by itself and when I came home for lunch to check on it, it had also passed away. I went immediately and got the curid liquid and mixed a batch. I cleaned all the cages with bleach water and the barn area where they had been staying. I noticed two other chicks that were very pale and sleepy so I pulled some of the medication up in a syringe and tried to dribble it so they would swallow it, but apparently I was too late because I found them this morning. I mixed a fresh batch of the curid in their water and when I came home at lunch..I found 5 happy hungry chicks with pink combs and bright normal colored beaks. I'm new to this chick thing...curid works and for me it worked fast. *fingers crossed* I just wished I had recognized the signs earlier. My guys never had funny looking poop...but they smelled terrible. I guess that should have been a sign..but never having young chicks I had no idea.
Hope your gals start feeling better!
Remember, corid treatment is for 5 days straight.

Oh. Yes. I have all the chicks in quarantine. The area they were staying is getting another cleaning with ammonia tomorrow and the corid will continue for 5 days. Thank you!

Yes, start treating for Coccidiosis! The dosage for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon per quart of water for 5-7 days. Corid also comes in a powdered form, but I don't know the dosage for that.

The powder is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

I also made a new solution every day for the full 5 days.

I hope my flock gets better, my one buff is awfully skinny and he has a pale comb, hopefully it isn't too late- I hope your gals get better too!!!

Make sure No vitamins are given during Corid(amprolium) treatment,interferes with the ability of the medication to work. Give vitamins after treatment is complete.

Oh. Yes. I have all the chicks in quarantine. The area they were staying is getting another cleaning with ammonia tomorrow and the corid will continue for 5 days. Thank you!
ALL chicks/older chickens have to be treated,not just the new ones. Coccidiosis is spread by droppings,which get into feed/water via droppings. Spread by your hands/clothes/shoes,feed utensils,etc. That is why if one shows symptoms,treat everyone.

Back
Top Bottom