?Blood in stool

Yeah, it's a killer. I would definitely recommend treating as quickly as possible. I think Corid is actually amprolium. Which is what is in the medicated feed. Corid is at a higher concentrate though. There are other things you can use, but I think Corid is the least damaging to their system while it takes care of the coccidia.
Understand that this is what I've gathered from my research. Please, someone with more knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong.
You are right, and I would treat too.

Coccidiosis is nothing to mess around with if you suspect it's a possibility. I would use Corid, my avian vet strongly recommended against the sulfa meds, they are very harsh on a birds system. Coccidiosis gets all out of control and it can go really fast. By the time a chick is so sick that it can't help but show signs of illness it may well be to late to treat. Corid is such a simple med that to me, if I see signs, it's well worth it to treat for 5 days rather then risk loosing a bunch of chicks.

Corid is simply Amprolium. Amprolium is, pretty simply, just a thiamin blocker. It is not an antibiotic. It won't get rid of the cocci altogether, it simply creates an environment that is unfavorable for it to overgrow. Therefore the name coccidiostat. There will still be some cocci in the gut, that is how the chick is then able to develop some immunity.

Corid comes in liquid or powder. I've never used the liquid just because powder is what my feed store sells so I don't know the dose for that. The dose for the 20% soluble powder is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days.

goodpost.gif

Thanks for the info. After looking at "myhubby's" assortment of chicken excrement, I have to say that what I saw today with one of my older chicks stool looked like the intestinal lining in the picture labeled "picture by Catsmuvva." However I have been studying the 1.5 wk old chicks stools and the last two (one from each) seemed to be coated in a light film of pinkish. The stools themselves are fairly well formed and large. I fed them yogurt and they are drinking Bragg's apple cider vinegar in their water. I have resorted to weighing them to make sure they are growing. Otherwise they seem to be acting normally. I do have some corid - but only liquid (9.6% oral solution). Does anyone know the dose for that. Otherwise, I will try to find the website again where I once saw dosing. Thanks for all the great replies and helpful pics

I find varying doses and it is impossible to calculate if based on 5mg per kg of animal since my chicks are so small. Most consistent is 4ml/gal (have seen this rounded up to 1 tsp(=5ml)/gal). I'll go ahead and start that now. Someone let me know if I am wrong.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words...the gelatinous red splotch is the area of concern, but then I did see some pink tinged fluid encasing each stool (when dried was impossible to detect). It's entirely possible I am staring at chicken excrement too much, but since they just seemed fluffed up more than usual and sleeping a bit more, I decided to start the corid tonight. Of course as I went to give them the medicated water, they were playing leap frog with each other and running around the cage. But what I have read, suggests that corid is fairly benign. I will try 4ml/gal x 5 days and resume medicated feed

Honestly, to me it looks like intestinal lining only because it's formed and not liquid like blood. I am by no means a professional though!! :)

I always have my chicks vaccinated for Cocci and Merak's and I see poop like this one quite a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. Interestingly, one of the older chicks (~7wks) was acting more lethargic this AM. Wouldn't eat and was sleeping while the others were out foraging. I brought her back inside with the little chicks and found her to have very watery, slimy stools - but no "liner" or blood. She would just lie next to the water and drink until she fell asleep. As I already had started the Corid, I decided to finish the course with her as well. Everyone got yogurt (had to start feeding her with a syringe) and when I checked on them this evening, she seemed much more energetic and her stools had firmed up. I'll just finish this course and just treat the birds based on how they are acting and not on what I see in their stool (unless there are worms or frank blood) as I assume the birds will likely tell me how they feel before I can see it in the stool anyway. I hope everyone is on the mend. Thanks again.

Hello,
My vet said 9.6 corid should be used at a dose of 1 teasp per gallonfor 3-5 days and thereafter 1/2 teasp for two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom