Blood in the coop! Please advise!

SpikesMom

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
We have four chickens, 19 weeks old, never laid eggs yet, never wormed (I didn't know we were supposed to...this is our first "flock") This morning 6 a.m. I saw some blood, a little was splattered on the door, so I thought maybe they had a minor tiff last night. Went out later at 10 a.m. and there is much more. (I'll put some pictures of it here. Sorry they're blurry.) Seems to be connected to their droppings. One spot it is very runny-looking (third picture.) They seem healthy and fine...no behavior changes. I just cleaned the coop last night and put in fresh straw; I clean the coop regularly, fresh water last night, so it's not dirty conditions. Also I let them out every day to "free range" around the yard.

I read about Cocci on this site, but aren't they too old to get that? I got the impression Cocci occurred to very young chicks? If Anyone can give me some advice about this I will greatly appreciate it. (My husband will not take them to the doctor, so that's out.) Should we buy both wormer medicine and Cocci medicine in case it's one of those? Thanks for any help.

How are they acting otherwise? Sometimes they just shed intestinal lining and it is bloody looking. Has anything changed? No new ones in or out? No changes in feed?

Chickens of ANY age can suffer from coccidiosis. Coccidia is a natural part of all chicken's environments. Stress of any type can help coccidia to overcome a healthy chicken's system.

You are right, coccidia is more common in very young chickens.

I had an outbreak in my adult birds earlier this summer. I changed the brand of feed they were eating. The next day dogs got in my coop and killed several hens. In the process of catching the hens their waterer got knocked over. They were without water all day with the temperature at about 100º.

Too much stress........ 5 days of Corid and all the girls are fine now. :)

The are all just the same. Everybody's eating and wanting to get out in the yard. I put them all in the run while I disinfected their sleeping area and removed all the straw. Nobody's injured. I still have them on chick feed, but we quit the medicated chick feed awhile back, thinking that would be more "natural." No new chicks or anything. My additional concern is that if this is some disease, could the dog & cat get it?

I'm getting ready now to go to the feed store; one thread said to buy Valbazen or Safeguard. Do you concur? I know nothing about any of this , and I appreciate everyone's help.

Corid...that's one I hadn't heard of. I'll see what the feed store has to offer. Sounds like this is probably what they have. The only stress I know they suffered was two days ago when the dog's Frisbee hit their coop. They freaked out over that, but otherwise they have a pretty good life.

Corid is amprollium, and some feed stores have Ampromed brand. If they don't have it (in the cattle section in powder or liquid,) then try to get Sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet. All have different dosages, and Corid will get all 9 or more strains of cocci, where the sulfa meds get the 2 worst strains.

Back
Top Bottom