blood in the coop

chicken gal

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
hi,
I have had blood in the coop. On the water, on the food, and on the sides of the nesting boxes. I would really like some answers.

Thanks!!!!

Hi,I've had that happen twice. In my cases, the first was the hen turkey. If anyone roosted with in her necks reach, she'd let them have it. In the morning I found blood on the perch (enough that it dripped) and some on the wall. I finally had to rehouse the turkeys. The 2nd incident was recent. I have 2 roosters to16 hens. From the look of Wrinkles comb I believe the 2 had a free for all. I had already placed an ad on Craig's List and yesterday found Bruce a home. Not sure if this could be what's happening with you but worth checking. I've read where hen's will peck each other also. (Do you have a light on in the coop? Sometimes that allows them to move around and peck at night when they should be sleeping.) Sue

Everything clams down without a light that's for sure.
Extra light in the morning, never at night. That's what I believe.

My roos have some blood dribbles from time to time, but chickens recover amazingly.
Check everyone's toes wings, etc. and if there's no major damage just chalk it up to an angry chicken.
If it happens again within a month or less, then its something to be concerned with.

Hi,I've had that happen twice.  In my cases, the first was the hen turkey. If anyone roosted with in her necks reach, she'd let them have it.  In the morning I found blood on the perch (enough that it dripped) and some on the wall.  I finally had to rehouse the turkeys.  The 2nd incident was recent.  I have 2 roosters to16 hens.  From the look of Wrinkles comb I believe the 2 had a free for all.  I had already placed an ad on Craig's List and yesterday found Bruce a home.  Not sure if this could be what's happening with you but worth checking.  I've read where hen's will peck each other also.  (Do you have a light on in the coop?  Sometimes that allows them to move around and peck at night when they should be sleeping.) Sue
so i have to find my chickens a new home:(

Not necessarily. Some more info would help. How long have you had the birds? If they're new, they may just be sorting out the pecking order. A comb injury usually bleeds quite a bit, they shale their head and blood flies all over everything making it look like someone was massacred. If you have a rooster, he may have accidentally grabbed a comb instead of feathers at the back of the hens head- producing the same result.
If you've had these birds for a while, you may want to make sure they have enough space. Lack of space will rile them up terribly.
Do you free range, have a run or are they in the coop 24/7? It could be boredom that's making them fight. Hanging a head of lettuce/cabbage, a mirror or a flock block will help with boredom.
It could also be a combination of any of these things. If its pecking order stuff, they'll settle it out in a week or so. If its not just new birds feeling each other out, take a good look at your set up. An established flock usually doesn't just duke it out for no reason. Good luck!
Nikki

Or if your birds are feather legged/booted you could have a broken feather which could bleed quite a bit also.

Last edited:
I wouldn't get rid of them either. If they are all chickens I'm sure they'll work it out in time. The hen turkey out sized the chickens 6 to 1. Rooster's tend to be territorial over their own harems. Is it continuing? Are they confined in a very small area? Can they get out during the day? If you have more than 1 rooster with not so many hens, could be the problem. Can you give us more details? sue

Yeah, they can get out during the day. I think they are just not getting out enough. I think I will let them out more often. And I might put a mirror or some cabbage. My chickens love tomatoes.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom