Laying eggs outside the coop

SpringsChick

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2023
NW Colorado
Hi All, my little Sunflower "easter egger" is laying her eggs under some rose bushes. She seems like she's low on the totem pole and not sure if she was bullied out of the nest boxes. She is one of 5 birds this year in a mixed flock of 18 with ages up to 5 years old. Only the newbies are laying as everyone else is in molt. How do I get her to move to the box in the coop?

Obliterate the nice cozy spot under the bush or block it off so she cant use it.
Also put fake eggs in the nest boxes you have now if you haven't already.
She may just search out an alternative spot, if indeed she is bullied from existing nest boxes.
How many hens, and how many boxes by the way?
Thanks, I was thinking of locking them up in the run that has no access to this bush. There were 12 in there when I finally found the stash.

I have 18 hens, only 5 new ones laying right now. Box is a community box, with a rollout to the rear. It's 3' wide and there are fake eggs in the back of the box, they can see but not touch.

Thanks, I was thinking of locking them up in the run that has no access to this bush. There were 12 in there when I finally found the stash.

I have 18 hens, only 5 new ones laying right now. Box is a community box, with a rollout to the rear. It's 3' wide and there are fake eggs in the back of the box, they can see but not touch.
Locking them in the run for a few days will at least force her to consider other options for laying.

Might want to also think about adding a solo box or two, in case she's getting bullied in the communal box or just doesn't feel comfortable in there.

Back
Top Bottom