Blood in vomit?

Dianekw

Songster
7 Years
Aug 9, 2016
I have a hen almost 3 yrs old, half buff orp, half EE, who was standing around with her eyes closed, not eating when all the others rushed me for treats...huge crop. So i looked around and saw some info on impacted crops...picked her up to see if i could feel any lumps in there, and she started vomiting all over the place. Really runny, with small globs of brown...looked like runny poop. Then all of a sudden it had a blood-red color to it. Kinda scared me a bit, so i let her go. Her crop is super squishy...feels like a lot of liquid in there, but no lumps that i could feel. She's still dribbling some brownish watery stuff every once in a while, but seems to be moving around a bit more,and not sitting with her eyes closed as much. Crop still looks a little puffy, though not as much. She just started picking a little at the greens i brought, but then one of my other girls started fighting with her. She's fighting back, but the others start joining in on it by the time i get over to break it up. I dont know what to do now...she's gone back to "meditating" in the corner, and the others are leaving her alone... for now...rooster started stepping in, so maybe he'll keep the peace. But i dont know what i should do...if anything. 🤪 I have a trip that I'm leaving for tomorrow morning and i cant ask my 82 year old mom to try any fancy "veterinary" moves...is there something i should give/do for my hen today? ...so that maybe she'll still be alive on friday when we return? 🤪 Mom's biggest fear is that a chicken dies "on her watch" 🤪

...any advice?

She may have sour crop or a blockage.
Was it blood that came up or could it have been something colored red that she ate? If it was blood, that's concerning. Not sure what's going on there.
A crop issue can take days to resolve, so if you aren't going to be home, then you may want to hope for the best and treat when you get back.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I'm pretty sure it was blood...very thinly diluted by all the fluid she was holding in there, but i cant think of anything she could have gotten that had any red in it. I will say that soon after she vomited, as soon as the other girls quit pickin on her, she started pecking around at the dandelions my husband tossed into the run, and a coyple of little scraps of bread(i know...not the healthiest, but she got maybe about a half inch cube at most...and now, at 930pm, i just checked on her again,and she's up on the top roosting bar, sitting peacefully like nothing ever was wrong. I explained to Mom how to very gently massage the crop to help her vomit if it gets huge and squishy again, but I'm going to be optimistic, and hope it was just a one-time blip, and that the little bit of diluted blood was not serious. 🥴🤞 thanks for listening! 😄

Back
Top Bottom