Blood loss from cut foot... HELP!

Paganbird

CrescentWood Farm
11 Years
Apr 25, 2009
Western Pa
I just got in from checking for eggs. I was just out at about 9:30 & all was well.
I went into the silkie coop to check for silkie eggs where I am keeping 6 of my 3-month-old chicks in that coop so the "big girls" won't hassle them.
When I opened the door to the coop, I was sure someone was dead. There was blood EVERYWHERE! I counted & they were all there, so I started picking them up to find out who was bleeding. It was a 3 month old silver-laced polish pullet. Her toe got cut off! I had picked her up this morning... & it was fine then, so I'm not sure what could have happened.
I brought her inside & cleaned up her foot. She was still actively bleeding. I put her in a crate with fresh shavings. The thing is, she started acting strange. She was shaking her head & couldn't stand. I'm assuming it's due to the blood loss, but I'm not sure how to fix it.
Is there anything else I can do for her... or do I have to just wait it out & see if she makes it?

ETA: title change

Last edited:
Has it stopped now? If not take some flower and pack around her toe and then wrap with vet wrap or whatever. Give her some protein like eggs or dog food. Also some sugar in her water and perhaps some vitamins encase she has low sugar. Polish are such dainty things at times. I had one that got stepped on by a slightly heavier chicken and I was sure she broke her neck. It took a day of pampering but she was fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. She's doing a little better already. I coaxed her to get up with some yogurt... that she promptly dipped her crest in & shook all over me.
The bleeding stopped shortly after I cleaned her up. I'm not sure what happened to her. Looks like her toe got ripped off at the distal joint. What's-left-of-her-toe is bent at an odd angle. I'm pretty sure it is broken.
I don't think it could have been another chicken, I mean, she's a standard in a silkie coop! There are no sharp edges on anything, either. I've never had a scratch on the other chickens.
On an upbeat note, she seems to be enjoying the warmth of indoors. I'm just going to let her rest & recooperate.

ETA: Spelling corrections

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom