Blood On Egg Shell

nittanyhens

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
State College, PA
Hi, all!

One of our laying hens [two out of five are laying at 6-7 months]--they're young and we're beginners]--suddenly has dried poop and wet-looking feathers on her behind. Yesterday and today she's laid eggs that are blood-smeared. Any ideas on what's going on and how we can help our babe?

Thank you so much!

Hello nittany! Other than the visual symptoms you've described, is the subject chicken acting any differently than usual? Is she still active, eating, drinking, etc? If she's acting normal, I wouldn't worry. I'd clean off her behind, though. Depending on her breed, you might want to clip some of the feathers around her vent to prevent stuff from globbing up there - I've done this on my fluffy-butt Orpingtons because they seem most prone to DBS - Dirty Butt Syndrome. Sometimes eggs come out with blood, poo, etc. on them, so let's hope this is all that's going on with her. Also, when a pullet is just beginning to lay is when you're most likely to get shell-less eggs, really small or extra large eggs, etc. as the inner workings of their egg-production mechanisms get going. Good luck!

Thanks, CC!

She's acting like her normal self, full of conversation and acting like the leader of brood that she is...she's a Barred Rock, and pretty fluffy-butted, I'd say...we can see the vent because the surrounding feathers are matted...it doesn't appear to be lacerated or bloody or anything...So, you're suggesting that, with any luck, she's got simultaneous PBS and NEA [Novice Egg Adjustment]?

Thanks so much for your insight; we'll work on that butt and see what happens! Speaking of which, any suggestions how to do [or not do] the cleaning and clipping?

Peace and Noise!

I think the easiest way to clean her up would be to bring her inside and soak her in a bath or sink of warm water - that will loosen the matted material so you can more easily pull it off her. It seems like a chicken might really protest being dunked in the warm water, but they often seem to relax and enjoy it. Then blow her dry with a warm hair dryer and clip the feathers/fluff around her vent with scissors. You may not have to clip much at all - I clip the area right under the vent and that usually does the trick. It might be a good idea to keep her inside overnight in a cage or pet carrier to make sure she's had time to dry before you let her back out into the cold outdoors (depending on where you live). Maybe she'll tell the other girls about the special "spa day" she was treated to...

Messy butts and the occasional blood smear is all pretty normal with laying hens. I wouldn't be washing her butt in this weather, but that's just me. Unless this matted poo is actually blocking her vent, I'd leave it alone. She will eventually groom herself well. Messy butts come and go on chickens and, if you start washing them each and every time, you will be a pretty busy lady!
wink.png
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom