Many Bloody Eggshells from Different Hens

Jul 30, 2021
I just collected some eggs, and I found about seven that have blood on the shell. I haven't collected in two-three days, and I know that these eggs are from at least four different hens. I have had the occasional bloody egg, but never from multiple hens at once. I am a little worried because I realized their water was empty (I NEVER let it go dry, so this was a rare thing to happen), and I feel awful because I'm worried I somehow hurt them or something. Is this likely related to dehydration, or is it something else?

Do you have multiple water sources? That should be done so that running out again never happens. Chickens can knock over a waterer and spill it. I suspect vent pecking has cause the bloody eggs. That can lead to cannibalism. Can you examine their vents for damage? Running out of water or food could also cause them to suddenly start a molt from stress. Eggs should be collected daily. The hens could start to eat the eggs, but also they could start to spoil in warm weather, or freeze in cold weather.

Do you have multiple water sources? That should be done so that running out again never happens. Chickens can knock over a waterer and spill it. I suspect vent pecking has cause the bloody eggs. That can lead to cannibalism. Can you examine their vents for damage? Running out of water or food could also cause them to suddenly start a molt from stress. Eggs should be collected daily. The hens could start to eat the eggs, but also they could start to spoil in warm weather, or freeze in cold weather.
At the moment, it is just one waterer, but I will be putting another one in there soon. And I've had chickens for many years, and this was a one time thing with it running out (I know how dangerous it is for them to go without water). I can definitely check their vents, but I somehow don't think that's the issue because all the bloody eggs were laid over two days, and there was absolutely no problems before.

The reason I was asking to check the vents is that if they were thirsty and frantically looking for it, they might peck each other’s vent out of frustration. It was only a suggestion. Vent pecking can be common in any coop, especially if they are not getting out into the yard to free range for some reason. Having a blood smear on eggs is fairly common with brand new layers or if they lay XL eggs.

The reason I was asking to check the vents is that if they were thirsty and frantically looking for it, they might peck each other’s vent out of frustration. It was only a suggestion. Vent pecking can be common in any coop, especially if they are not getting out into the yard to free range for some reason. Having a blood smear on eggs is fairly common with brand new layers or if they lay XL eggs.
Ah, I see. I'll definitely check, thanks for the suggestion.

Its possible you have just 1 hen with a vent or lower sore (bloody) and she's shifted around on all the eggs smearing them while she's laying?
I thought about that, and I will be checking their vents later, but the bloody eggs were found in multiple locations. It is definitely possible though.

Back
Top Bottom