Blood on vent area after laying egg, normal???

lindsay297

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Petawawa, Ontario
Hi I have 1 yr old brown commercial layers and one of them has blood around her vent after laying an egg. There was also blood smeared on the egg. There is not a lot and she is acting fine otherwise. Just wondering if this should be a concern.

I have separated her from my others till she can clean her self up but, would like to know if this could be more then I am making of it. She is eating and drinking normally and still comes at a run when she sees the "bucket" (treat bin).

Any thoughts??

I've never noticed blood on my hens' vents but I have seen blood occasionally smeared on eggs. I can only assume it came from their vent as the egg was being laid. I've come to expect that it will happen every so often. I wouldn't say it's "normal" but on the other hand I've never had a hen die or show any other ill signs when a bloody egg has been laid. I wouldn't be concerned about it unless she shows other ill symptoms or signs of distress.

Thanks.....I guess i wont worry about it to much. Thought everything was ok and if others have seen this then all is probably well.

Thanks for the responses.

A little blood is fine, especially if it was a big egg or if she hasn't yet laid much in her life. Just watch for blood in the poop because it could be cocci--it's rare in adults but does happen. Also keep an eye on the other hens to make sure they're not pecking at your girl's vent and making it bloody to begin with. Since you have commercial layers, they tend to lay eggs too early and too big for their bodies.

Back
Top Bottom