Bloodlines and husbandry

ChickenGal6

Chirping
Apr 2, 2016
Hi! I have owned chickens for 3 year and started showing last year. I have talked with my 4H leader about getting better show chickens and possibly replacing my show turkey or breeding him. Does anyone know of any breeder s with good blooblines around Denver PA? Thank you!
Here are a list of the birds in looking for ~
Bantams
Silver Sebright
Modern Game birds (b.b.`s i think)
Silkies (mostly blue splashes)
Polish

Turkeys
Narragansett
Blue Slate

Try posting this in the NY, NJ, MD, WV, Ohio, state threads if any of those states are close to you. Also locate a local show, go there, and meet some breeders - perhaps get a mentor. Well done on your part to get better birds. Although initial cost may be higher, it costs no more to feed quality birds than to feed hatchery quality. Good luck in your search.

Sourland is right. Wisdom there.
Also check the national Club for each breed and see who the top breeders are. Check the American Poultry Association Master Breeders list for breeder and strain names. Check the list of top winners last year in APA show stats at the APA website. Look for big winners in these breeds. Check the online show results for the big shows last year. Ohio National ,Boston Poultry Expo, Kentucky, Pacific Poultry Fanciers, Northeastern Poultry Congress. See who took the breed , or better yet, made Champion Row in your chosen breeds. Then after this, make a short list of breeders and contact them. You want breeders who have won in notable shows in quality competition over multiple generations.
Best,
Karen in western PA, USA

Back
Top Bottom