Bloody beak

barg

Songster
12 Years
Apr 27, 2007
We went out for a little while with the chicks in the new coop, their 3rd day visitiing in the day.
We discovered this when we returned....
Should I worry about this, should I do anything with it or leave it alone, it was clotted and no longer bleeding when we discovered it.
blodybeak.jpg

Thanks for your input

Last edited:
If it has stopped bleeding and the others are not picking at it, I would let it be. You can put some neosporin on it if you wish.

Is she at the bottom of the pecking order? Just wonder if she got pecked or maybe was chased by one of the others and cut it on the chicken wire. You could clean is with a damp wash cloth and put some triple antibiotic ointment on it. If she is gettting picked on the others will see the blood and continue to peck.

Its hard to tell the pecking order, they dont seem to be too ridged on it , but she is the, slowest to develop one, and I have always considered her to be lowest, but again its a very fine line.
All of the birds are pretty docile, they jump around at each other a very little , but I do think she found something in the coop she ran into.
None of the birds are pecking at her, she doesnt seem botherd by it at all.
They are all very close group and dont seem, the kinda chickens that would purposely cause harm.Guess ill keep an eye on it, I went in and did an inspection of the coop and eliminated some possible problem areas within it.
I think it may just be that they arn't used to all the room etc..

Thanks again for the input guys...
smile.png

I'll be posting some updated pics of my coop this weekend if you wana check it out too

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom