Bloody Butt feathers

BirdLadyWingfield

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2023
I have a 15 week old Tom with bloody butt feathers and bloody beak. He is free-Range during the day and placed on the TOP of the chicken coop at night. He didn’t appear to be bleeding when I put him up there last night. This morning when I came out, he was already down roaming around (as always). I could see the bloody streaks running down the top of the coop. I thought it was his stools, but it’s just blood!!!! His beak is covered in dried blood. He has left himself with only a few tail feathers and they are stained with blood. Any reason why he could be doing this to himself? Stress?

Coyotes can jump. I had a pet one years ago and he could get on top of a 6 ft tall shed. They can go over a 6ft fence
A friend had a coyote that would scatter its feed around instead of eating it. He was using it as bait. When the songbirds would go after the food he would leap and take them out of the air as high as 8' up as they flew away.

Buddy, the Tom, lives to see another day!!! But, his rooster companion Winston has disappeared though! 😢 Have not been able to find him this morning. Still haven’t found a carcass. I don’t even see any feathers, like he put up a fight or anything!!!!!!

Last edited:
Buddy, the Tom, lives to see another day!!! But, his rooster companion Winston has disappeared though! 😢 Have not been able to find him this morning. Still haven’t found a carcass. I don’t even see any feathers, like he put up a fight or anything!!!!!!
I had a couple chickens disappear and found feathers out in the pasture by coyote poop.
They will keep picking off your flock until:
they get them all and move on
Get killed themselves
Or your birds are locked up so they can't get to them.

My chickens inside the enclosure are fine. Buddy on the other hand found him this afternoon unfortunately 😭 I don’t see any damage to him, but he did seem a little off this morning. Didn’t greet me and tear the bag of food up like usual. I’m glad I atleast gave him a hug and a kiss this morning around 11:30, before he passed on. I think he was holding out for me. I came out later than usual today. When I found him at 5, he was already stinking! 😭 Now it’s a waste of meat as well! He was supposed to be for thanksgiving. From chick to table.

It's a possibility. Juvenile are out learning to hunt by me.
Last Dec my 4 year old tom was killed and half his neck eaten.
Well dang!! I already lost the hen about a week n a half ago, but figured that was a coyote. That’s why I started putting him up at night. I did not anticipate attacks from above as well……

Well dang!! I already lost the hen about a week n a half ago, but figured that was a coyote. That’s why I started putting him up at night. I did not anticipate attacks from above as well……
Coyotes can jump. I had a pet one years ago and he could get on top of a 6 ft tall shed. They can go over a 6ft fence

Back
Top Bottom