Bloody comb

Sarjeanp

Songster
7 Years
May 26, 2015
Oh my gracious, my poor boy! This morning when I let everyone out, Foggy was actively dripping blood, and at least three girls had bloody beaks. I have had a long-standing issue with his comb, him and his sister, the other white leghorn, have these little black and white spots on their comb. So I bought an antifungal cream to put on them. I Put it on sugar, the girl, but I really didn’t see a difference in that mark on her comb. it looked fungal to me. Anyway, obviously, all the ladies decided to go at it overnight at my poor boys comb. I could not capture him, but I was able to separate him and lock him into an area by himself. The bleeding subsided, and now I can see all the dried black blood where the wounds are. My husband stopped at the feed store and bought the anti-septic spray and I have Neosporin here and a few other items on hand for the chickens. Foggy is a very very good boy in the sense that he has never attacked and never hurt the girls, but his Spurs are one of the largest, sharpest that I’ve seen, and who knows what he will do when in pain and scared. I’m waving until the sun goes down which is a few more hours for him to get tired so that I can wash him and treat him and I will keep him separated. I just want to make sure I’m not missing any steps when I treat him. I don’t have blue coat, the lady at the feed store sold my husband a spray that she said people use more often than blue coat, I also have Neosporin here. I just cannot believe when it was actively bleeding, how much blood there was. Oh, I was also throwing flower on him this morning to coagulate the wound. Oh my goodness such a circus!

Oh my gracious, my poor boy! This morning when I let everyone out, Foggy was actively dripping blood, and at least three girls had bloody beaks. I have had a long-standing issue with his comb, him and his sister, the other white leghorn, have these little black and white spots on their comb. So I bought an antifungal cream to put on them. I Put it on sugar, the girl, but I really didn’t see a difference in that mark on her comb. it looked fungal to me. Anyway, obviously, all the ladies decided to go at it overnight at my poor boys comb. I could not capture him, but I was able to separate him and lock him into an area by himself. The bleeding subsided, and now I can see all the dried black blood where the wounds are. My husband stopped at the feed store and bought the anti-septic spray and I have Neosporin here and a few other items on hand for the chickens. Foggy is a very very good boy in the sense that he has never attacked and never hurt the girls, but his Spurs are one of the largest, sharpest that I’ve seen, and who knows what he will do when in pain and scared. I’m waving until the sun goes down which is a few more hours for him to get tired so that I can wash him and treat him and I will keep him separated. I just want to make sure I’m not missing any steps when I treat him. I don’t have blue coat, the lady at the feed store sold my husband a spray that she said people use more often than blue coat, I also have Neosporin here. I just cannot believe when it was actively bleeding, how much blood there was. Oh, I was also throwing flower on him this morning to coagulate the wound. Oh my goodness such a circus!
Please ignore any and all typos, I am speaking into my phone, and Siri always betrays me!

I don't know what treatment would be best, but I just wanted to say that I don't think you need worry to much, our rooster lost part of his comb and there was quite a lot of blood and actually a part was hanging of.
I didn't really want to try to do anything with it as I was worried about making it more painful, so I just left it and after a couple of days snipped it off and now it's all healed.
I'm not saying that this is what one should do, but combs are very good at healing.
Best of luck with your rooster!

I don't know what treatment would be best, but I just wanted to say that I don't think you need worry to much, our rooster lost part of his comb and there was quite a lot of blood and actually a part was hanging of.
I didn't really want to try to do anything with it as I was worried about making it more painful, so I just left it and after a couple of days snipped it off and now it's all healed.
I'm not saying that this is what one should do, but combs are very good at healing.
Best of luck with your rooster!
Thank you so much for your response! I just could not believe how much blood was actively dripping. It looked like a gruesome massacre. I did read in a panic stricken way that comes bleed quite heavily due to large capillary volume, and then I read that they heal just as quickly. He’s such a sweetheart, I hope that I do right by him! It looked so incredibly bloody and horrific. 😲

Back
Top Bottom