bloody duckling under wings only, living with chick.

frankensusan

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Escondido, CA
Bloody under wings
sad.png

I have a duckling and a chick who were apparently raised together, the people here think the chick might be 2.5 - 3 weeks old. It's nice outside at night around here so I put them in the outside aviary last night with a heat lamp on...

This morning, Poor duckling is missing the down under her wings and is all red under her wings.
sad.png

I'm still trying to figure out what happened. They've been together in the house for a few days now without any problems.

I'm trying to find a great duckling raising forum like this chicken one! In the meantime anyone know if I can put neosporin on a duckling's wing-pits?

Susan

pic%20027.jpg

You will need to separate the duckling and wash the blood off with warm water and a soft towel. Apply neosporin when the down is dried and keep the duckling separated from the others.

Is it actually bleeding or scabbed, or is it just bare unfeathered skin? If it is bleeding and scabbed then by all means, follow terrielacy's advice!
Just know that as ducklings grow they loose their fluffiness, and the wings (and bare pits)especially look like little nubs before the true feathers start showing. Much like the "chicken nuggets" you get at the store.
lol.png

I looked at the little guy a little closer. Vet confirmed neosporin or cortisone cream ok.

Looks like pin feathers on the part of the wings closest to hind end are coming in. The redness and some was a little bloody, is right on the tops of her knees where that part of the wings touch when she hunkers down.

Was the poor little thing shivering so much in the night that her pin feathers rubbed her raw?
I can try separation, but up until yesterday everytime they are apart they cry like crazy.

At least it doesn't look like cuts or anything.

We think they were easter basket babies raised together.

more later!

Susan

If you don't separate them, the chick will likely pick at the redness so it will get worse. You can separate them int he brooder with a piece of hardware cloth so they can still see each other. Or if you want to put blu kote on the duckling you can try that, but the blue will last a very long time. And if you get it on you, you will be blue for a while, too! LOL

Back
Top Bottom